Question: Birth Control and Antihistamines

MediaQueen - Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:06 am

I have been taking Triphasil for a little over 3 years. I am 40 years old.
I have been taking Benadryl a lot lately for my allergys and for the past 3 weeks I have been having spotting. My period was due yesterday and although I am still spotting it's difficult to tel lif it is a period or just spotting since my periods are very light and brief.
Do Antihistamines lower the efficiency of oral contraceptives?

I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which since I moved overseas had not been treated.
Thanks in advance
 soldier506 - Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:55 am

Hi, I never herd of antihistimines causeing any troubles. However, I will say that any types of antibiodics will counter act oral contraceptives. That is how my first child came into the world. :o :D
 MediaQueen - Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:02 am

Well I took a pregnancy test today and it's negative. Also I have stopped spotting, as soon as I started a new pack of pills... something tells me as soon as I start the lower dose pills on Wednesday I might see the spotting again.

Also I called several pharmacists and all of them told me the same thing, if you take Antihistamines, use a back up method of birth control while your taking oral contraceptives...
I guess I have been lucky.
 celt - Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:26 pm

I know that smoking while on the pill, especially when over the age of 35 is a no-no. My question is.....I am 36 1/2 and I smoke about 15 cigarettes from Friday to Sunday. Less than a pack in three days. Sometimes less than a half a pack. I heard that the great risks are in women over the age of 35 that are heavy smokers (15 or more cigarettes a day). I'd greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Slan

celt