Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Shingles and pregnancy

Sophia123 - Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:17 am

Hello,

I am about 5 weeks pregnant and have just been diagnosed with Shingles. Can shingles harm my baby?

Thank you.
 CharleenC - Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:01 pm

That is a really good question, and not something often seen in early pregnancy. The virus that causes Shingles is Herpes Zoster, and it is related to varicella zoster that causes chicken pox. I would suggest getting a referral to a perinatologist though, to be safe. Especially with the stage of pregnancy you are in. Please let me know how it turns out. Charleen

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us