Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: lOSING WEIGHT AND PERIOD HAS STOPPED

saved - Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:00 am

Hello i'M AT MY LAST ROPE I keep trying to not think the worst. I have not had my period since october 2003, I have lost 7 pounds since then and I have not been trying to at all. My hair is starting to fall out a little and I have some lower back pain. I have been under some stress lately.
Please if anyone has any idea what is wrong I appreciate it imencely. I have had a spleen removed in 1989 with a cyst on it. Desperate!!!! :( :(

:cry:
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:01 pm

User avatar Hi!

Do you have children? What is your body weight? Have you had a pregnancy test done? Do you have problems with facial hair? Have you ever noticed discharge from your breasts?... ...These would be some of the questions I would like to explore in your situation.

Warm regards,

-Bill
 saved - Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:38 pm

I have no excessive hair no children or any problems with leakage of my breasts. Could it be a overactive thyroid. Thanks for you concern please write back soon
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm

User avatar Hi!

I don't think we may come to a conclusion as to the cause of your illness (amenorrhea = stop of menstruation) or its solution from this forum. Nevertheless, to my knowledge, an underactive thyroid can be a culprit but rarely an overactive one. Hypothyroidism can cause your hair-loss too. But the thyroid is not the only guy who could cause amenorrhea. Polycystic Ovarian Disease [PCOD] is one such disease where the ovary has several cysts on it, and the patient is obese with male-pattern facial hair [called hirsuitism].

A tumor of the pituitary glands near the base of the brain, called pituitary adenoma, can cause amenorrhea when high levels of prolactin in blood may be detected [which can cause discharge from breast]. Drugs, stress, and exercise can cause amenorrhea. Another tumor called craniopharyngioma may also cause amenorrhea.

In your case I might even level my thoughts around a premature ovarian failure i.e., early menopause, especially since you have had one ovary removed along with history of endometriosis.

Your gynecologist might want to run several tests to diagnose the cause, beginning with a pregnancy test.

A thorough investigation seems inevitable in your case.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

-Bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us