Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: is it normal to have early periods every month?

lkelley05 - Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:21 pm

in the past i have had very regular periods, since the birth of my 3rd. child ( 5 years ago), my periods have became more and more different each month.
i have had very heavy bleeding and extremely painful cramps, bowel movements.
they were interfering with my life such as i would stay home for the first couple of days from work etc.
now for the past 3 months my periods have been consistently 1 week early.
i have also recently had a significant weight loss without dieting or changing much of anything in my life style.
in the past my GYN has not been very understanding, even saying things like " i think you are exagerating" and " you are too young for any thing serious to be wrong with your ovaries like cancer" i am 27 years old and im starting to get worried.
any advice you can give me?
thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:43 am

User avatar Hi lkelley05,
Menstrual cycles do sometimes change and may become somewhat irregular. Stress, hormone imbalances, etc. may be responsible for cyclic alterations. However, since you are experiencing worsening abdominal pain and have had weight loss with no dietary changes I would suggest a pelvic exam along with further diagnostic studies such as an ultrasound to assist in identifying if an anomaly exists.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us