Question: umbilical cord

lilysuzanne - Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:13 pm

What exactly should be done to newborn before umbilical cord is cut. What is the recommended time between cutting the cord and clearing the babies' airway.?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:45 am

User avatar Hi lilysuzanne,
Generally speaking, the umbilical cord is clamped, cut, and the baby is suctioned to remove excess secretions from the nose and mouth and given back to the new mother.
This is usually completed very quickly.
 lilysuzanne - Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:44 pm

Is 20 seconds excessive, while delivering my son the nurse commented to the doctor on how early she cut the cord and doctor stated when moved to table "20 seconds, my discretion, that's why I'm the doctor" seemed like the nurse noticed she cut the cord earlier than most. Is 20 seconds longer than the norm. The doctor then rushed saying we have ten seconds (to clear air way) My baby cried immediately after clearing airway, is that good.? Get a bad feeling from this doctor.