Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: umbilical cord

lilysuzanne - Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:13 pm

What exactly should be done to newborn before umbilical cord is cut. What is the recommended time between cutting the cord and clearing the babies' airway.?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:45 am

User avatar Hi lilysuzanne,
Generally speaking, the umbilical cord is clamped, cut, and the baby is suctioned to remove excess secretions from the nose and mouth and given back to the new mother.
This is usually completed very quickly.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 lilysuzanne - Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:44 pm

Is 20 seconds excessive, while delivering my son the nurse commented to the doctor on how early she cut the cord and doctor stated when moved to table "20 seconds, my discretion, that's why I'm the doctor" seemed like the nurse noticed she cut the cord earlier than most. Is 20 seconds longer than the norm. The doctor then rushed saying we have ten seconds (to clear air way) My baby cried immediately after clearing airway, is that good.? Get a bad feeling from this doctor.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us