Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Smelly!

 cuzznut - Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:31 pm

Hello, :)

Please help - for the past few months i have been noticing my the smell of my vaginal discharge has become worse. The last time i has sex was about a year ago. It is a very strong potent smell. There is no pain when urinating or no itching. I don't have any lower back pain or pelvic pains. My periods are normal. I tested my urine at work with a urinaylsis dipstick and it came up with traces of protein. What should i do? Head to my doctor?

Nat :?
 nursie3205 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:58 am

Absolutley go to your doctor. You could have a bacterial infecton, or even worse, a sexually transmitted disease) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many STD's are painless and asymptomatic. See your gynocologist ASAP. Good Luck.
 cuzznut - Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:27 am

Does a cervical smear detect STI's?? I had a cervical smear the about a month ago and everything was normal. My doctor also did a physical examination etc.. would an STI be picked up then?
 cuzznut - Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:57 am

.......................... also when the doctor physically examined me she wasn't concerned about anything. Its just that ive heard that when you do a STI check a smear must be done to detect an STI. Maybe i heard wrong!
 nursie3205 - Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:35 pm

Yes most sexually transmitted diseases are usually detectible by a pap smear. You may have some sort of bacterial infection. Never the less I would get a second opinion.
 cuzznut - Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:42 pm

thanks, yesterday i went to the doctors b/c i found a small red lump on the inside of my vagina which was painful to touch. She examined me and said it was a boil because the lump had a head. i also asked about my odor and she said that if there was a noticable odor she would recognise it but there wasn't - so im glad! so she gave me some antibiotics for the infection and also a cream to applied. So thanks!
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:48 pm

User avatar A pap smear tests does not detect STDs. A pap smear is a test to check the cervical cells for cancer. You need to ask for an STD test as well, and they will take another smear to check for STDs.
If a pap smear is done, and comes back abnormal, an STD or vaginal infection may be the cause for the abnormality, and further testing would be done to determine the cause of the abnormal cells to rule out any other problems.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us