Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Brown Discharge

IamCpLauren - Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:54 pm

Hello, I am 19 years old. I have been sexually active for about 4 years. I have currently been with the same person for 5 months, and he has only been sexually active with me so I believe an STI is not an option. I got my period on the 18th of July and the 21st of August, so I am not totally regular. I finished with my period on about the 26th of August. Today is the 5th of September, and yesterday and today I had brown discharge in my underwear. It seems a little far away from my period to be spotting, but there are no other symptoms such as pain or burning, (I have had a UTI before, this doesn't feel anything like it ...) Can someone please tell me what this could be? Something simple like spotting, or something more serious?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:26 am

User avatar Hi IamCpLauren,
Had this occurred near your menstrual cycle I would have been more inclined to consider that this was related to your uterus not completely shedding all the products of menstruation. Some women experience midcycle spotting due to shifts of hormones, ovulation. I would consider that this is a possible reason.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 elhazzja - Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:12 pm

9 times out of 10 I have brown discharge before my period, occasionally after, and sometimes in between. I've asked my doctor and she said that it is normal, its kinda just like left over blood from the period before that didn't make it out from what I understand. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I do a lot of research on everything little issue I have, even things like yeast infections. If you still worry though or think it could be more its always good to go and ask you doctor about it.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us