Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Not sure if I am pregnant?

smiley0329 - Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:49 am

Well last month I didn't get a period. I am on orthro-tricylen lo and have been for about 2 years. I continued on to the next pack of pill and still no period. I took a pregnancy test after 1 day late it was negative I then took one 1 week after still negative then 2 weeks after still negative. Is there still any chance I might be pregnant? I always take my pill around the same time except on the weekends I take it alittle later in the day. Please tell me there is no chance of pregnancy :(
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
Ortho Tri-Cyclen is a combined phasic contraceptive pill that contains norgestimate/ethinyl estradiol: 0.18 mg/35 mcg; 0.215 mg/35 mcg; 0.25 mg/35.

With perfect use, only 0.1 percent of women become pregnant within the first year of using a combination oral contraceptive pill.[1]

The most sure method to exclude pregnancy using a pregnancy test. The highest possible screening sensitivity for an hCG-based pregnancy test conducted on the first day of a missed period is 90 percent, as 10 percent of women may not have implanted yet.[2] It was estimated that the highest possible screening sensitivity of a home pregnancy test by one week after the first day of the missed period is 97 percent.

References:
==========
1. Trussell J. Contraceptive efficacy. In: Hatcher RA. Contraceptive technology. 17th ed. rev. New York: Ardent Media, 1998:779-99.
2. Allen J. Wilcox; Donna Day Baird; David Dunson; Ruth McChesney; Clarice R. Weinberg. Natural Limits of Pregnancy Testing in Relation to the Expected Menstrual Period. JAMA. 2001;286:1759-1761.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us