Question: Menstrating brown blood

sweetpea - Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi. I am a 19-year-old sexuallay active woman. I have never missed a period and my periods are always regular. This month my period started exactly when it was supposed to. Everything about it was normal except after the first day the blood went from being red to brown suddenly over night. It was brown for the remaining 6 days. My period lasted as long as it normally does. This was not discharge that occured before or after my period - it WAS my period.

I don't know if these two events are related, but I thought I would share this just in case they are. In July I flew home for a month to be with family, and the week I flew out I was on my period, so I didn't have sex at all for about 5 weeks. The day I came back my boyfriend and I had sex for a couple hours. A few hours later I noticed that I was spotting red. I only spotted a little amount and it had completely stopped by the time I fell asleep. I have never spotted before that day or after. This occured about 3 weeks ago.

Stuff you might need to know:
I lost my virginity to my boyfriend about 6 months ago. I have never used birth control pills/shots/patches or anything like that. My boyfriend has never ejactulated inside of me. My boyfriend tested negetive for STDs. I haven't experienced any burning or itching. I don't feel sick or sore at all.

This is really freaking me out. Why was my period brown? Whats wrong with me? Thank you for your help.
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:19 am

I truly don't think anything is "wrong" with you. Menstruation changes with age, hormone levels, activities, any number of things.

If you see any other changes or symptoms that give you concern, get in touch with your physician. But speaking as a female and mom of 3, your periods are going to change their appearance throughout your life.

Take care and try not to worry too much, as stress can also affect menstruation.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:20 pm

User avatar Periods do change, and can change from month to month depending on stress, physical activity, hormones and diet as mentioned above.

Brown blood is perfectly normal and very common in many women, it's just "old blood" and tends to either precede or follow the red blood. It tends to be light, not heavy. It can also make up the majority of the period, as in your case.

As far as the spotting after sexual activity, sometimes that can happen after prolonged or vigorous sex, especially if it has been awhile.

If you are very concerned or these problems do not change, see your doctor.