Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: condylomas

 bgeobar3 - Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:44 pm

young doctor thinks i have condylomas. is this sexually transmitted only? does that mean that my husband has been unfaithful or can it stay dormant for 18 years and then reappear
can my Crohns disease cause this to happen? (my crohns was in remission for 28 years and now has surfaced again and within 2 weeks of surfacing I now have this problem)

is this a form of genital herpes?
:cry: :(
 nursie3205 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:21 am

I can answer some of your questions but not all of them. First of all condylomas or(genitial warts) are caused by a sexually transmitted disease called Human Papilloma Virus or (HPV). Sexual intercourse is the only mode of transmission. To the best of my knowledge, HPV can lie dormant for a while, maybe even years, I am not exactly sure. HPV may also be linked to cervical cancer, so it is very important that you seek medical attention for this matter to get treatment. And no, your Crohns disease did not cause this. Hope I have helped you in some way. Best of luck to you!!
 nursie3205 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:25 am

FYI....although both are serious sexually transmitted diseases; HPV is not a form of genital herpes.
nursie3205 :)
 buggs24 - Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:55 pm

I would also like to inform you that you can get HPV from close contact with the genital area... meaning you don't have to have vaginal intercourse to get them. I am not a nurse or Dr. but I have taken many courses of human sexuality at the University I go to . I am positive that this type of STI can be dormant for many years before ever showing up. You could have gotten it from a previous partner or your husband could have picked it up from a previous partner. So don't assume he is being unfaithful, but it won't hurt to ask. Women are usually the one's who show symptoms while the male does very rarely. This makes it easier for men to spread it without even knowing they have the infection. Luckily HPV is not like herpes and it can be treated. You should see a doctor to get antiboitics to get rid, but remember you husband may have them as well and not know so he will need to be treated as well.

Hope this helps :)
 nursie3205 - Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:08 am

Thank you buggs, for filling in the blanks. I am a new nurse, and I work in geriatrics, so i don't really know a lot about gynecology. I just volunteer on this site, and try to answer what I can. So I am glad when other pple have the answers that I don't have.

Thanks again,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us