Question: Urine Smells Different Urgency,Hesitancy,Frequency To Void

Curious2005 - Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:18 pm

To make a long story short.I started working with the elderly in a nursing home,and I noticed the strong ordorous sort of like ammonia but not really, smell of their urine.Lately I noticed my urine smells that way,and I've been having frequency,urgency,and hesitancy all in one at times to urinate.It did burn at one point,but not anymore.Any idea or opinions as to what's going on b4 I see my Dr.?
 nursie3205 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:48 am

:) Curious, it is obvious to me that you have a UTI or (urinary tract infection). All the symptoms you are experiencing are classic signs of this infection. Luckily, a urinary tract infection, is very easy to treat with antibiotics. The doctor may prescribe Septra or Bactrim, which is very effective treatment for UTI's and also very inexpensive, compared to a lot of antibiotics these days. Okay now a question for you; do you drink a lot of caffeine or carbonated beverages?? If so this may be causing a lot of your problem. You need to drink lots of water. It flushes out the kidneys making your urine less concentrated and susceptible to UTI's, and it also keeps you hydrated, which Im sure you need if you are working in a nursing home. LOL It is verrrryyy hard work. I know from experience. Also cranberry juice is very good for your kidneys and bladder due to its natural antiseptic properties. Just see your doctor and Im sure everything will be just fine.
Sincerely
nursie3205
 Curious2005 - Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:40 pm

Thanks for your reply.This possible UTI thing been going on for a couple of months now.But I think it's time to see my PCP to take care of this problem.Thanks again.
 Curious2005 - Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:57 pm

Oh yeah.I forgot to mention I don't drink a lot of caffeine or carbonated drinks.I nevr had a UTI before.It's been going on for a couple of months now,and I should be drinking plenty of water and cranberry juice,but it seems like I barely have the time to drink.How long would it take to clear up if I start drinking cranberry juice?And should I drink cranapple juice,cranraspberry juice,or just straight cranberry juice?