Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Gave birth 9 weeks ago - still bleeding

tlh2md - Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:24 pm

I recently gave birth 9 weeks ago by c section. My lochia lasted much longer than expected, still red at 6 weeks. It had finally slowed down and turned brown around week 7 and even stopped completely for about a day. Then, I started bleeding again bright red and have been doing so for the past 1 1/2 weeks, sometime red and sometimes brown. Is this my period coming back? Is this normal or something I should be concerned about? I have had some kind of discharge, either red or brown almost every day for 9 straight weeks. There has never been an odor or any cramping at any time. I am also on the third week of my second month of birth control pills. Please help!
 CharleenC - Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:51 pm

While your body is recuperating and such, and as you begin with the Pill, any type of bleeding is ok, except when you are soaking pads. Basically, everyone is different, but ....if you are soaking maxi pads (one fully saturated pad per hour) then you need to see a dr. The fact that you are not cramping and have no foul smell is good, it means you are less liely to have infection. Did you have any extra bleeding during your section? Also, you would have been due for a 6 week check up with a Dr, did you have that and what did they say? Again...the amount of bleeding and the other symptoms we talked about are what I would watch. Take Care and congrats on the new baby!! charleen

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us