Question: Off BCP for 6 months, and concerced about fertility

DesperatetoConceive21 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:30 pm

My husband and I decided to begin trying to conceive in March. I got off of BCP (ORTHO NOVUM 777) in March 05,I had been of birth control for about 5 1/2 years with the exception of a 2-4 months. I know that it usually takes about 3 months for ovulation to regulate, however I have yet to get pregnant. I am concerned that my husbands sperm may not be as "potent" as they should be. He smoked marijuana daily while he was in high school/Junior High. He hasnt smoked in about 3 yrs. Could this still be a problem? I also occasionally have hot flashes, which is concerning. My paps and iternals have always been normal. Please is there anything I can do, my husband and I desperatly want a child. :?
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:45 am

The first thing you have to always keep in mind is...
keep it off your mind.

Six months is not uncommon at all while trying to conceive, even up to 2 years. If either of you are stressing yourself out over becoming pregnant, this in itself can inhibit ovulation and/or sperm production. Yes, past marijuana use could have some impact on sperm production after 3 years, but do not immediately blame that and do not give up.

Hot flashes could still be hormones readjusting to the body being in control of them now or even summer in general. ON 7/7/7 is a pretty strong regimen, although not the strongest by far.

Contact your physician for possible hormone level tests for you and possible sperm count testing for your husband if you can't stand the suspense. Most importantly for you, hubby and future bambino is to relax and enjoy the attempts. ;)