Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Off BCP for 6 months, and concerced about fertility

DesperatetoConceive21 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:30 pm

My husband and I decided to begin trying to conceive in March. I got off of BCP (ORTHO NOVUM 777) in March 05,I had been of birth control for about 5 1/2 years with the exception of a 2-4 months. I know that it usually takes about 3 months for ovulation to regulate, however I have yet to get pregnant. I am concerned that my husbands sperm may not be as "potent" as they should be. He smoked marijuana daily while he was in high school/Junior High. He hasnt smoked in about 3 yrs. Could this still be a problem? I also occasionally have hot flashes, which is concerning. My paps and iternals have always been normal. Please is there anything I can do, my husband and I desperatly want a child. :?
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:45 am

The first thing you have to always keep in mind is...
keep it off your mind.

Six months is not uncommon at all while trying to conceive, even up to 2 years. If either of you are stressing yourself out over becoming pregnant, this in itself can inhibit ovulation and/or sperm production. Yes, past marijuana use could have some impact on sperm production after 3 years, but do not immediately blame that and do not give up.

Hot flashes could still be hormones readjusting to the body being in control of them now or even summer in general. ON 7/7/7 is a pretty strong regimen, although not the strongest by far.

Contact your physician for possible hormone level tests for you and possible sperm count testing for your husband if you can't stand the suspense. Most importantly for you, hubby and future bambino is to relax and enjoy the attempts. ;)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us