Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy?

weeclara99 - Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Having had pre-eclampsia during my first pregnancy, are my chances of suffering from it during subsequent pregnancies higher? Any advice on prevention?
Thanks!
 CharleenC - Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi there! It isnt that your chances are higher, but that you do have a chance of it returning. It is important that you have adequate prenatal care and regular appointments. It would be helpful to know how sick you were the first time so I could better avise you. WEre you on Magnesium to prevent seizures. Was your bloodwork ok? Did you have protein in your urine. Feel free toget back to me with other questions. Charleen
 weeclara99 - Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:22 pm

I was o.k until about week 34 of my pregnancy and then my blood pressure started to rise and I did have protein in my urine. I was never given drugs for this condition though and I never actually felt ill with it.
 CharleenC - Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:14 pm

It is significant that you had protein but the fact that you didnt require medication in reassuring. Not feeling well actually is NOT a common symptom of preeclampsia, but the think you SHOULD look out for are: increased sweeling other than normal hands and feet swelling, pain in the epigastric area (like heartburn but pain) or over the liver, any spots in front of your eyes or a bad headache. If they occur, see your doctor and report them as soon as possible. Keep those things in mind, and enjoy your pregnancy! Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us