Question: Pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy?

weeclara99 - Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Having had pre-eclampsia during my first pregnancy, are my chances of suffering from it during subsequent pregnancies higher? Any advice on prevention?
Thanks!
 CharleenC - Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi there! It isnt that your chances are higher, but that you do have a chance of it returning. It is important that you have adequate prenatal care and regular appointments. It would be helpful to know how sick you were the first time so I could better avise you. WEre you on Magnesium to prevent seizures. Was your bloodwork ok? Did you have protein in your urine. Feel free toget back to me with other questions. Charleen
 weeclara99 - Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:22 pm

I was o.k until about week 34 of my pregnancy and then my blood pressure started to rise and I did have protein in my urine. I was never given drugs for this condition though and I never actually felt ill with it.
 CharleenC - Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:14 pm

It is significant that you had protein but the fact that you didnt require medication in reassuring. Not feeling well actually is NOT a common symptom of preeclampsia, but the think you SHOULD look out for are: increased sweeling other than normal hands and feet swelling, pain in the epigastric area (like heartburn but pain) or over the liver, any spots in front of your eyes or a bad headache. If they occur, see your doctor and report them as soon as possible. Keep those things in mind, and enjoy your pregnancy! Best wishes!