Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Off Pill

Mosey - Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:42 pm

I have been on the Pill for 2 years but have been off of it for one month simply because I was out of the country and could not get a refill. I started my period the end of July and have not started yet.

Here is the catch. I did not have sex until after I was already late. He pulled out but we also didnt wear a condom. I am just waiting for my period to start back on the Pill but it still has not come. Before my expected start date I was having all the signs of getting my period (note I had not had sex). So now I don't know what to do. It is not like i can wait to see if I miss my period to take a test. When I called my doctor the woman said that I probably didnt have anything to worry about. Could it be stress of school starting, my boyfriend living accross the country now, and from being on the Pill for so long?

I don't know how much longer I need to wait before starting to really worry.
Any feedback would be wonderful!

Thank you!
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:25 am

Coming off of the birth control pills puts your body back into control of your hormones and it could take a while for it to kick back in on its own, causing you to be "late".

Be aware also that with your period coming late, ovulation was probably late also...hence you may have had sex in this new ovulation time frame.

Give yourself another week, then go get a pregnancy test run if you have not started. You could actually go in now if you're overly worried since it appears that you are about 2 weeks late at this time.

Best wishes and I hope everything gets back on track soon!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us