Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Could this abdominal pain and distention be GYN related?

 Lydia - Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:43 pm

Hi. I am a 32 year old female and I have had abdominal distention, usually generalized abdominal pain and cramping, low grade fever (consistently around 100 degrees), fatigue, paleness, headache, shortness of breath, dizziness, for over 6 weeks now. The distention does not go away, although my abdomen is softer some of the time. I am most comfortable lying down, and any standing or walking for more than 20 minutes leaves me unable to stand up fully and increases the pain and my inability to breath normally. I have been abnormally thirsty, craving water. I have had inconsistent bowel movements, which have included diaherria and rock hard bowel movements within the same day. I have had 3 CT scans that have shown:
-Mild hypo density/lesion in the left lobe of the liver and a sub centimeter hypo dense lesion within the lower portion of the right lobe, small hypo density in the liver tip measuring 4.6 mm
-Prominent left ovary, with a large left ovarian cyst measuring 2.58 x 1.79 cm, with no free fluid seen in the pelvis.
-Atelectasis seen in the lung bases posteriorly/dependently left greater than right.

I went 4 days later for an ultrasound of the ovarian cyst, and it could not be located. I have had a barium enema, colonoscopy, and ultrasound of my appendix and gallbladder. They have not been able to figure this out yet. In addition to numerous blood tests(including CA 125) and blood cultures, all of which came back within normal ranges. I have seen 4 GI Dr's, my internal med Dr, and my OB\GYN Dr. Do you have any suggestions as to what this may be or what I might suggest we test for next? This has adversely affected my life, and I feel as though I am getting worse. I have days that I can barely get out of bed.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:27 am

User avatar I would suggest you ask your doctor to consider a workup for Lymes Disease. The one common thread with Lymes is the number of systems affected and the changing of symptoms. While there is no definitive lab test for Lymes, I think it shoukd be ruled out in your case.
 Lydia - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:54 am

Thank you so very much for your input and advice. I am at a total loss, and even my primary Dr told me yesterday he didn't know what to do with me. How is Lymes disease tested? Is there a level/levels measured in the blood, or is there a specific test? The reason I ask is b/c I have had so mant tests, and I have all the results with me. And, I can check to see if it has been included in the slue of blood to this point.

Thank you again, and I will research Lymes on the web. :)
 Lydia - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

I just read your reply again and see that there is no definitive test for Lymes. Sorry for the already answered question.... :?
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:27 am

User avatar I am sorry if I did not make myself clear, your can be tested for antibodies to the Lyme disease bacterium. When you have these antibodies in your blood, it means that you may have come in contact with the Lyme disease bacterium known as Borrelia burgdorferi, which is transmitted by a bite from an infected deer tick.

This test also measures antibodies to other bacteria, so that if the test is positive, an additional test, called a Western Blot, is used to help your doctor confirm a diagnosis of Lyme disease, however sometimes these tests are negative and you can still have Lymes. A doctor must take labs and clinical workup to make final diagnosis of Lymes.
 Lydia - Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:25 pm

Thank you again for your time and assistance. I hope you know how invaluable this website is, and realize how wonderful you and the other volunteers are:D

I have left a message for my Dr, and will reply after I get the test results back.

Thanks Again, Lydia

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us