Question: Nausea and back ache....

Catherine Fergerson - Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:57 am

Ever so often whether sometimes everyday, every other day or every two days. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with upper stomache pain and a back ache. I get very nauseus and usually need to throw up. After about an hour its gone and I go back to sleep. Some times its in the middle of the day or afternoon. This has been going on for a month and a half now. About 5 weeks ago I had a blood test done to see if I was pregnaunt and it came out negative. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 pm

The endocrinological, physiological, and anatomical alterations that accompany pregnancy give rise to symptoms and signs that provide evidence that pregnancy exists. These symptoms and signs are classified into three groups: presumptive evidence, probable signs, and positive signs of pregnancy.[1]

Presumptive evidence of pregnancy is based largely on subjective symptoms that include nausea with or without vomiting, a disturbances in urination, fatigue and the perception of fetal movement.[1]

The so-called morning sickness of pregnancy usually starts early in the day and lasts a few hours. This disturbing symptom usually begins about 6 weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period.

If you are not pregnant then you may want to check our vomiting page for more info on the possible causes. You should pay a visit to your doctor for a proper evaluation.

References:
==========
1. Cunningham FG, Gilstrap LC, Gant NF, Hauth JC, Leveno KJ, Wenstrom KD, eds. Williams Obstetrics, 21st edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2001.
 Catherine Fergerson - Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had to go into the ER several times a week after I posted this. Finally the last emergency visit someone decided to do an ultrasound and found several problems with my gallbladder and possible problems with my appendix. Had both taken out, but I still suffer from horrible heartburn, and small gallbladder attacks, despite the fact that its been gone for a couple of months.