Question: Cervical issues/LSIL

mellycat - Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:24 am

For nearly 2 years I have had pelvic pain during menstrual cycles and when not menstruating. I saw a gynecologist in early 2004 when I suddenly stopped menstruating (I am 30yrs old, have had reg. cycles since starting at age 9) for many months. I was given medication to being my cycle, then bled for 28 days and was given meds to stop my cycle. Some concern existed that my increasing weight (obese) could be causing hormone imbalances etc and affecting my cycle. In July 2004 I underwent gastric bypass surgery (Roux-n-y) and gall bladder removal. I had normal cycles from July 2004-January 2005 (while taking birth control pills). Still I had consistent pelvic pain even when no menstruating. In February 2005 when I once again missed a period I learned that I was pregnant. My new 1ounce stomache was not absorbing the birth control pill properly. I was in rapid weight loss stage and deep in a state of ketosis and it was deemed far too dangerous to carry on with the pregnancy and I had no ch oice but to terminate the pregnancy in February 2005. I had a normal cycle in March and April 2005, although the pelvic pain persisted. I also began getting vaginal discharge and spotting in between cycles. Discharge was often thick and mucousy (as with discharge during ovulation) however had a period of time where it was thick, sticky and black in appearance. By April 2005 I began bleeding heavily, huge clots (dozens daily), extended cycles (2-3 weeks), followed by mild spotting for a few days, perhaps a day or two of no blood and then back to the heavy bleeding/clots etc. I underwent a endoscopy/biopsy/d&c along with cervical cauterization (for severe erosion). I was told before surgery I had a "nabothian cyst" however on exam after surgery by another doctor, this "lesion" is still there. (I thought that since nabothian cysts were mucuos/puss filled that by cauterizing the area a nabothian cyst would rupture?). My endometrial biopsy showed no cancer. We have ruled out PCOS, I have no ovarian cysts or polyps etc. The lab reports suggest "possible Anovulation". (Is that not just a term given for problematic bleeding? Is it not usually secondary to something else which would be the main cause?). A few weeks after the surgery I also had a PAP come back with LSIL. I am still abnormally bleeding and unable to take birth control pills due to malabsorption. I cannot take Depo shots as I have negative side effects from it. So I am bleeding awfully and in pain the majority of the time. I am told I must wait 3 months for a repeat PAP test before anything else will be considered. I am questioning my doctors decision to go ahead and wait 3 months for further investigation. Based soley on one test result of LSIL I can see it is normal protocol. However throwing in the pain, abnormal bleeding (hormone levels testing fine btw), cervical erosion, and doubts (well MY doubts) that this "nabothian cyst" could perhaps indeed NOT be a nabothian cyst (thus my question about cauterization eliminating this type of cyst), would it not be more sensible to go ahead with a colposcopy or some such other test and bypass the 3 month wait for further PAP testing (which then takes 6-8 weeks for results)??? I should note that my mother has had several laser treatments for HSIL that persist in coming back. This was when she herself was in her 30's. Unfortunatly I have no way to know if those treatments were successful or if they came back and are cancerous now as she refuses anymore medical treatments and refuses even PAP tests.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
 mellycat - Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:04 am

This is a very important issue to me and I am really hoping somebody in the medical field can offer some input soon. Thank you in advance!

Melissa (mellycat)