Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal discharge, important question

Heaven - Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:48 pm

I am a 24 year old female, sexually active in a long term relationship. I am not on birth control, use the pull out method for the past 4 years.( I realize it isn't the most realible)
My periods are about 31 days apart. I am due to start on september 18. All this week, I have been feelign light cramping, which is unusual for me, I usually get bad cramps the day of my period, then they go away.
Today I just began having a brown discharge that is common at the end of my period. My problem is that my period isnt due for 5 more days, and Im having this spotting with cramps all week.
i had surgery on my cervix a few years ago to cut out some displasia that I had, and I was unable to go to the follow up apppointments to see if they got it all, because I couldnt pay for it, and I havent had a pap smear since then because I havent been able to afford it...Im wondering if that is causing these symptoms Im having, or if it is due to somethign else, pregnancy possibly?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:54 am

User avatar Hi Heaven,
My first suggestion to you is if your cycle does't arrive around the expected time, wait a few days and perform a pregnancy test. Follow ups for abnormalities are very important. Have you inquired either through your local hospital or physicians office about low cost or free clinics for evaluations? Either should be able to provide you with the necessary information in order to receive the care that you need.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 CharleenC - Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:34 pm

I would not think these symptoms are with regards to pregnancy. Was this spotting after intercourse? If you have had previous cervical dysplasia and no followup and it is post intercourse, I would worry as to whether the dysplasia wasnt resolved. I suggest finding a clinic and getting checked out as soon as possible. Also, remember that if you have 31 day cycles it is possible to start PMS and your period a bit sooner than that. Keep me posted.
 Heaven - Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:36 am

I have started bleeding today, very heavy, I am changing a super tampon once an hour, and have very terrible cramps, I went home from work early because the cramps are so bad, and I feel real shaky....hopefully the flow slows down soon, or I will have to find a doctor tomorrow
 Heaven - Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:15 am

Thought maybe I was having a miscarriage, so I took pregnancy test to see if it might show up, and the line was very faint...I don't know if that means anything or not?
 mellycat - Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:02 am

A faint line is still a positive preg test result. Often the faintness indicates an early pregnancy. With your level of bleeding and the test result I would recommend seeking a doctor immediatly. I have miscarried 2x's at that early stage without medical danger or need for intervention however it is always wise to be cautious and get a medical opinion, as well as a labratory preg. test result. I'm sorry that I have to offer this type of opinion but feel hard as it may be to hear you really do need to go see a doctor at this point.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us