Question: Light spotting

juciey - Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:54 am

My period was supposed to come on on the 4th of this month of sept. but it didn't. i was spotting for about 4 days it was light pink I didnt even have to put on a pad. I was trying to get pregnant after getting my tubes untied 2years ago but i took a home pregnancy test and it was negative so please help.
Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:05 pm

"Spotting" refers to unexpected bleeding that does not require the protection of a sanitary or a tampon.[1] Normally it doesn’t reach the underwear, but rather is swiped with toilet paper after a bowel movement or urination. The blood can be pink-tinged mucus, rusty brown or bright red. Brown discharge usually indicates "old blood".

Normal spotting is what may occur at the very end of your bleeding days or in the middle of cycle. Spotting that occurs about a week before the cycle is due – and only lasts for less than one day – is possibly considered implantation spotting.

One common cause of spotting is low progesterone. It’s the hormone progesterone that helps to maintain the uterine lining for pregnancy and when progesterone level drops, the menstrual cycle occurs. In women who are deficient in progesterone, they will see spotting several days to a week before their cycle is due. This can also cause minor infertility and early miscarriage.

Another reason spotting may occur could be uterine fibroids, which are fairly harmless, but need to be kept an eye on. Endometriosis, birth control pills are a few other reasons spotting may occur. The most harmful reasons for spotting are possible sexually transmitted diseases and some cancers.

It is advisable if you have recurring spotting each month to have your healthcare provider to exam you, just to rule out possible harmful reasons for it and to help you to deal with and/or cure the reasons behind the spotting.

References:
==========
1. Thorneycroft IH. Cycle control with oral contraceptives: a review of the literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999;180(2 pt 2):280-7.