Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: reoccuring lower right abdominal pain

 Minx - Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:09 pm

I am 30 years old, have had three children vaginally, and had a tubal about 7 years ago. I have had 6 ruptured cyst on my right side in the past 18 months. A couple months ago I had a very bad spell and went to the doctor, I had an abdominal and vaginal ultrasound wich showed yet another ruptured cyst and they found a golf-ball sized tumor in my uterius. I have experienced 30-40 pound weight gain in the past 6 months. I am having yet another bought with the lower abdominal pain, and can only assume that it is another cyst. My doctor had mentioned putting me on birth control to manage the cysts, but that the estrogin increase may increase the size of the tumor. I am getting very frustrated because I feel like my pain and concerns are being dismissed. I've been told more than once that this is something that I just need to live with. I miss about two days of work every couple of months due to the pain. Are there any other options that I can look into? Can only the right ovary be removed? Is a full hystorectomy an option?
 alteredbyendo - Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi, I wanted to reply, but I am not a medical professional. I hope that is ok? If not, please let me know. I wanted to say that any doctor that thinks that you just need to live with the pain is wrong. That is unexceptable. This is obviously interfering with the quality of your life, if you are missing 2 days of work every couple of months due to pain from ovarian cysts. And no, it's not normal, it's not just part of being a woman, and it's not in your head. I'm also wondering why no doctor has brought up the possibility of endometriosis, or uterine fibroids. The reason I say that is that I have been having pain in my lower right abdomen for about 4 years now, due to endometriosis and uterine fibroids, and for a while, I would have to stay home too from the pain, every couple of months. I just had my right ovary removed in February, so yes, a doctor can remove it, and that is more recommended if you have a rogue ovary than a full hysterectomy. It's better to try to keep your reproductive organs, since surgerically induced menopause at 30 is pretty icky to go through, from what I understand. Plus, it's just that much longer you would need to stay on HRT, to prevent osteoporosis and heart disease.

I wonder about endometriosis, because it too can cause horrible pain during your period. It also won't show up on ultrasounds or MRI's/CT Scans, unless you have a huge implant. Do you know what endo is? Here's a great explanation:" class="postlink"> Has anyone mentioned to you progesterone pills, or Depo-provera? No estrogen to cause the ovarian cysts to be triggered. The tumor on your uterus could be a fibroid, which is a benign condition, but if it's pushing up against a nerve, could be causing pain. But, did your doctor offer to biopsy it? I'm sure that it has you concerned, because no one likes to hear the word tumor.

IMO, it's time for you to find another doctor, asap. Unfortunately, you may need to kiss a few frogs, but you need to find someone who is in your corner, and not making you feel like this is just a condition you have to live with. It's true that there are some conditions that don't have many treatment options, but I think that you need to at least try something before you reach that conclusion, you know? So, from one female to another, I would ask that you get a couple of 2nd opinions, and fire the doctor that you have. It's just not worth it to spend years with someone who makes you feel like you have no hope to get help.


PS. My roommate suffered from debilitating ovarian cysts as a teenager, and has had successful treatment by using birth control pills. She used Ortho-Tri-Cylen, I think. But, I still think that it's wise to explore all options. For instance, endometriosis would not be treated well with a triphasic birth control pill, like Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, but a single dose birth control pill may help, like Yasmin. So, it's best to have a definitive diagnosis.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us