Question: Need peace of mind

Unsure - Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:45 pm

I know this probably sounds absolutely rediciulous, but I'd rather have a peace of mind then the stress. I'm 19yrs old and my period is a week late as of now, and I havent had sex yet, so i know everyone is saying so you cant be pregnant. But i've heard its true that even if you get any semen or pre-ejaculate anywhere near your vagina it is possible, even though there is only a small chance. My boyfriend and I fool around on occasion, but only twice since my last period, once was the week directly after it, and again this previous weekend (i was expecting my period before then) In between i have come up to school again and deal w/all the changes. I know that my cycle tends to get messed up when i change environments and i'm living alone, so there isnt anyone else for my body to regulate itself with. I have been pretty stressed lately too, and i know that all of this can have an effect on my period. When we fool around we try our best to make sure our genitals don't touch if we aren't wearing any items clothing. But in the chance that contact came somewhere close to the viginal area, how possible is it to be pregnant? and when should i really be worried about finding out if I actually can be pregnant? Like i said, so far its only been 5weeks since my last period, so thats about a week late for me already, but i want to be prepared, or at least put my mind to ease. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:13 pm

The change of environment has the better chance of reality. If you are very concerned about being pregnant, there are tests at your local pharmacy that can detect pregnancy even at a week late. You can also go to your local family planning cinic and have a pregnancy test performed free of charge.

Yes, the stories are true, although rare - and Murphy's Law is always there to haunt us females. ;) Just remember, keeping yourself stressed out over the situation can delay it even longer. If you have any other bothersome symptoms of any kind, see your physician for a more thorough evaluation.

Good luck!
 Unsure - Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:41 am

If I choose to go and buy a pregnancy test at the pharmacy, will the fact that i'm still stressed have any bearing on the results? or will i be able to take the results for what they are? These environmental changes tend to be normal for me, so i might give it a few more days and just try to really relax, but it is the first time that i've had a boyfriend and physically involved while dealing with these environmental changes, so i'm really not sure what is going on and tend to get paranoid about my body that something might be wrong. Thanks Again for your your help.
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:19 am

Pregnancy tests check for human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), which is produced during pregnancy. If it is a viable pregnancy, hCG should be present. There is a slight chance of a false-negative, but it is VERY minimal. Check the price difference between a single test and a box with 2 tests. You could test now, and test again in a week or two if you still have concerns.

Remember you can always get the test done at some clinics for no charge. If you still have not started in the next month, get yourself to a physician to be tested. But the home test should give you the answer you are looking for.

Again, good luck!
 Unsure - Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:33 am

I've heard that you should take the test in the morning, with the first urine sample. Is it true that this is the best time to take it? Can you take it at any other time as well and still get accurate results? If i bought a package of 2 and took one in the evening and one again in the morning can i be sure of the answers if they match? what do you suggest is the best way to do this? Thanks so much again, you're the biggest help.
 DeLWolcott - Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:21 pm

The first urine in the morning is the best sample as it is more concentrated. I would suggest taking one test on one morning, and perform the second test one or two mornings later. hCG increases daily when you are pregnant. So if the first one is faint in color, the result should be more prominent on the 2nd testing.

If you are still unsure, a doctors clinic will be able to give you a definite answer.

Still trying to send you good luck!
 Unsure - Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:51 pm

I took the test in the evening before i read your suggestion, but the sample seemed to be pretty concentrated, and i tend to be a "camel" because i don't usually go to the bathroom very often possibly because i also don't trink a whole lot during the day, and the negative answer on the test was very strong and clear. It's been two days since then and still no period, i've started to relax, but am getting anxious again. since there were only 2 possible times that i could have concieved since i am apart from my boyfriend a lot during the school year, the last time was last weekend when i randomly was there to surprise him, and i should have started my period the day before then or within a few days, so i thought that it might be best to wait a few more days and if i don't get it to take the other test in the morning, because i want it to be able to register for this most recent time as well, and i read that it takes abt a week for the the hormone to start being released. today is a week so if i give it aonther few days and test again in the morning, i should have a good accurate reading of the test. I'm almost more worried that there might be something else wrong and not the pregnancy issue? Is this possible? Thank you so much again, you've been great, even just to talk to and rationalize all of this out with! Thanks!
 Unsure - Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:02 pm

sorry i probably should have added that after i took the first test and started to calm down i've felt some cramping and throughout this whole thing felt more emotional (especially abt this topic) and i noticed that i broke out a little more than usual, which to me are usually signs of me getting my period some time soon (usually w/in the week), but everytime i think ive gotten it, I havent yet, which i think makes me worry again. I hope this other information helps you too. Thanks again SOOO much!
 DeLWolcott - Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:36 pm

Keep yourself as relaxed as possible. It sounds as if the signs are there that you are about to start. I still think that you've gone through a pretty major life change recently and this is the culprit. Yes, do the next test with the first morning urine of the day of your choice.

Try to enjoy your weekend to its fullest. I do believe that everything is gong to work out just fine. (But let me know cuz I'm nosey that way. ;) )
 Unsure - Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:25 am

Just to keep you updated, i had a good weekend and stayed as relaxed as possible, and i got my period last nite! So all is well and good, better late than never i guess. Thanks so much for everything you're the best!