Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: EARLY PERIOD OR IMPLANTATION? BEEN TTC SINCE MISCARRIAGE

milolayne - Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:40 am

I am on cycle day 28...11dpo.I started spotting CD26, brown kind of mucus. Woke up CD27 with bright red blood. Have had cramps for 3 days previously. I've been a regular 28 days, except the last three cycles I used progesterone supplements, b/c of previous micarriages....so my cycles were a few days longer. I had taken a few of the online early pregnancy strips test and had what I thought were faint positives. Even one this CD27. Do you think I could have just started my period 2 days early (on day 26?) or maybe the progesterone screwed me up? or maybe it's implantation bleeding? It's bleeding...not as heavy as a normal period...no clots (yet anyway). Was just holding out for a last bit of hope. Have been ttc since my miscarriage in January at 11 weeks. Very depressing. My luteal phase my be even more screwed up.
 Shelly S, RN - Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:35 am

Well, I can tell you that implantation bleeding usually occurs 5-10 days after fertilization. You window of bleeding *could* be considered as implantation bleeding, or a period, it is so hard to say. It can be a period because you were a couple days near the expected period date. However, you are also still in the 2WW, and it could be the implantation.

Was this bleeding heavy? Do you need a pantyliner, of pad? Or is it "spotting"?

The sure way to know is an HPT. If I can make a reccommendation, I would try "Answer Early" or "First Response Early Results". Both of these tests only need a small amount of the pregnancy hormone Hcg to detect a +. A standard test can take 50-100 mUI of Hcg to register, these take 25mUI. As far as the strip tests from the internet, I personally have encountered a lot women reporting false results with them. I am not saying your strips are bad, but trying a store bought test can provide further interpretation.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us