Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: "free fluid in cul de sac" in perimenopause

nativeplant - Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 am

I often receive the notation at the end of my perimenopausal patients' ultrasound reports - "small amount of free fluid seen" -- at what point, does this become significant?

I commonly order a transvaginal pelvic ultrasound for enlarged uterus or irregular menses in perimenopause.Thank you -- Anne
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:48 am

User avatar Hi nativeplant,
My understanding of a small amount of free fluid in the "cul de sac" may be indicative of cystic rupture and is relatively a normal finding. However, debris, or a large amount of free fluid would be reasons for concern.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us