Question: Severe Abdomimal Pain after Intercourse

Jilly - Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:22 pm

Last night during sex, I felt just a moments discomfort with a certain position, so I shifted to a different one and it was fine. Then afterwards I felt like I had slight menstrual cramps (which would be normal as it's very close to my time.) When I stood up to use the bathroom I was suddenly doubled over with the worst abdominal pain I felt in my life. I was also dizzy and felt like I would vomit. It came in waves and shot up from my tailbone up to my collarbone. It got worse when I tried to urinate. After putting something warm on my abdomin, it calmed enough to sleep. The next morning, again I got the shooting pains during urination, and I feel very sore all day as if I was punched in the stomach. it also hurts to stand/sit/cough. Can anyone tell me if this sounds serious because I'm a bit afraid to move. This never happened to me before and I rarely if ever get menstrual cramps.

nurodude - Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:30 pm

Jilly,
Any pain is abnormal, but most importantly it is our bodies way of telling us something is wrong. You don't really provide enough info for a definative answer, but there are few possibilities. One is irritable bowel syndrome, another is cervicitis or even appendicitis, etc.. Although the latter is most unlikely, you need to have a pelvic/abdominal ultrasound performed to fully evaluate your situation. There are other tests your doctor will perform as well to determine your problem.

Dr. C
 Jilly - Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks for your advice. It's two days later and the pain is pretty much totally gone. Is it possible that something was just hit the wrong way? I ask because in the moment it is very hard for me to get to a doctor. I'm in a new town and I have no insurance. Like I said, it's never happened before and otherwise my periods and health have been quite normal all my life. I am 32.
 nurodude - Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:02 pm

JIlly,

Again, it is difficult to determine anything specific based on your info. When you say it is almost gone, do you mean the pain on intercourse or the abdominal pain or both? Have you noticed any blood in your stool or if your stool is very black? Is there anything that makes it better or worse? Have you had a vaginal discharge. I understand your healthcare dilemma, but you have to take care of yourself. Are you close to a county hospital? They are there to take care of you if you don't have insurance.

Dr. C
 Jilly - Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:13 pm

Both. All pain is gone. Again, nothing else before or after health wise, everything's normal. It was just this one time, I never have painful periods or painful intercourse.
 iamsabra - Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Jilly (and any other google searchers!)

I stumbled across this site this morning as I have just experienced similar symptoms after intercourse (this is my fourth time experiencing this pain). Seems as though there are many women experiencing the same/similar things after intercourse, seemingly right around their periods.
http://www.steadyhealth.com/severe_abdo ... 04845.html

Perhaps because it so rarely happens, and so quickly disappears, doctors haven't concerned themselves with this issue. However, I have not felt such debilitating pain.

Could we all have a retroverted uterus?