Question: Brown Discharge - migraines - irregular periods

Wisp - Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:33 pm

I have never had regular peiods. I have had 2 children though. However, my last pregnancy was traumatic and my baby was born 2 months early. The placenta tore and I bled uncontrollably. My healthy daughter is now 9 months old but I am a little concerned. I have been sufferring with migraines and nausea terribly and for months I have had a brown discharge everytime I wipe. I am anemic and am not sure if this may be why. My periods are very inconsistent. I can go 2 months or so without a period and then get one twice in a month. I am on no birth control pills at the time. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what could be going on.....THX
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:18 am

User avatar Hi Wisp,
Have you had any hormone/endocrine function studies? If you have not, then that would be the first thing that you should inquire about with your physician.
 blondie444 - Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:43 am

I've also been having brown discharge and migraines. I started spotting this past Friday a light brown color and was spotting enough to stain my underwear on Saturday a brown color. I wore a pad for Sunday and Monday and there was only a little on the pad but a lot of brown type blood when I wiped. I've also been having severe back pain since Saturday but it is worse than usual. The blood does not smell like "period blood" it actually smells really bad. I was scheduled to begin my period on Tuesday and it started I think sometime that day because there was normal blood for a little and now it has gone back to the brown blood but even when it was red it still did not smell right. Is this normal? I've never once had a period be brown, the only time its ever been the slightest brown is at the very very very end of my period.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:50 am

User avatar Hi blondie444,
Generally speaking, a brown discharge may present itself for many reasons. One being, because the uterus has not completely shed it's product during menstruation. Have you had a recent gynecology exam? Are you using birth control medications? Unusual odors may indicate that there is an underlying infection. I would suggest an evaluation.
 blondie444 - Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks for the quick response! I had an exam the beginning of August and everything was fine. I am taking birth control though so is the brown and spotting just my body reacting to it even though I've never had a problem before?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:27 am

User avatar Hi blondie444,
Hormone levels do occasionally fluctuate. Considering you have had a recent exam and all was normal, I would attribute the spotting to the birth control medication. Did you change brands etc.?This does happen more often with some birth control than with others. I would not be too concerned unless it was a frequent occurrence. If it would become more bothersome, you may want to discuss with your physician a different pill etc.
 badbrownbad - Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm

i'm 15 years old and i got my period around christmas time and had it a few times after then.
last month and this month i didn't get my period, instead i just got this brown discharge that also got on my underwear a little and i could see it when i wipe
i'm not on birth control and i'm not sexually active.
do you know what this could be?
will i get my period normally again?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 4:41 pm

In the first few years of menstruation, periods can be very erratic, coming and going at odd times, just as you describe. This is considered normal. You will most likely get your periods again soon and it may take a while for some pattern to develop. Don't worry about the brown discharge. This is all normal.