Question: Mirena or Hysterectomy??

dsmegnky - Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:48 am

Hi, I am 35 years old and have had 3 children, one has passed away due to congenital heart disease, which could have been due to my uterus. I have a bicornuate uterus-heart shaped-(which I just found out about), a small fibroid (2 cm), heavy long periods with a brown mucus discharge lasting 2 weeks, painful intercourse, bad headaches during the end of my periods, horrible lower back pain, horrible upper leg pain down to my knee caps, a heavy feeling when I am on my period like right before you have your baby. I went to my obgyn for several years with complaints and she never did tests or anything on me, so I just switched doctors and she have been running tests on me. The ultrasound showed heart shaped uterus and a fibroid. She also said my uterus was enlarged, should be an 8, but it is a 12. She also did a test to check for cancer which was negative. She said that I could possibly have endometriosis, should I have laparoscopy done? :? She said my options are Mirena (iud- used as birthcontrol) or a hysterectomy. The pill is out due to past issues with headaches and the pill. So we talked about trying the Mirena first to see if that would help me, but I am have second thoughts about it. The more I read about it the more it makes me wonder. Like it is mainly used for birth control, not problems with periods. I am not having any more children and my husband has had a vasectomy, so I don't need to worry about birth control. Also does it work with a heart shaped uterus and/ or enlarged uterus? Then do I want to feel better for a few years then have the same problems again later with the same options? With the Mirena it will make your periods heavier before they get lighter, what fun! Has anyone else had the same problems or used a Mirena for the same reasons? Should I try the mirena first or just get a hysterectomy? Has anyone had a similar experience or any advice..... Thanks.. dsmegnky
 Nurse4you - Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:30 am

Dear dsmegnky-
You stated you may have endometriosis and laparoscopy may be in order. Generally, I would recommend abstaining from surgery if at all possible. Mirena has hormones in it which may help with symptoms of endometriosis.
If your physician has concurred you do have endometriosis and you REALLY don't want the IUD, have you asked him/her about uterine ablation?
When you have a hysterectomy, even if you do keep your ovaries, without the uterus they can atrophy earlier than if you were to keep your uterus, causing menopause. Of course, it may take long enough that it would be at a point that you would almost enter that stage anyway.
Increased bleeding associated with an IUD typically only lasts a few months, and then returns to normal.
Hope this helps!
 dsmegnky - Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:06 am

HI, I contacted the Mirena company and the IUD wasn't recomended for a heart shaped and enlarged uterus as mine. So, that option is out. The uterine ablation will not work for me either, my dr. said with the shape of my uterus it wouldn't do a very good job. She said she would not recomend that either. I feel I have explored all of my options and the only thing to do now is a hysterectomy. I just want this to be all over with so I can move on. Thanks, dsmegnky