Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Bartholin gland cyst excision

marlew66 - Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:43 am

Had a cone biopsy a D&C and Bartholin gland cyst excision on jan 12.
I had bleeding for 14 days after surgery.
I am still very sore and have a yellow drainage with occasional pink to brownish blood.

There is still a open hole where the cyst was removed.

Is this normal?
How long does recovery take?

I was put on a 10mg 5 day treatment of provera for the bleeding.
Had a 5 day dose of zythromax followed by a 5 day does of levaquin and a 2 doses of diflucan.
My doctor went out of country a few days after my surgery and the doctor on call for him doesn't seem to want to see me.
I have called twice once for infection concern and once for bleeding.
Both times the oncall doctors nurse to me to go to the ER which I did not do.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:44 pm

User avatar Hi!

After the removal of your Bartholin's cyst, did you have a recheck? Did you have vaginal packings, and if so, did your doctor replace it? Have you had regular sitz bath? It would require a recheck if you happen to have fever, discharge, pain, or swelling in the area, despite the meds you seem to have taken.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Bill
 marlew66 - Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:46 pm

I had the cyst removed on the 12th of feb my doctor checked me on feb the 16th and removed the packing. Alot of packing.

I did take sitz baths for 10 day's after the surgery.

Im still having pain and discharge.

I don't seem to be able to find any info on recovery time or how long I should have pain and bleeding.

My doc is still out of the country and won't be returning until this coming monday.

Thank you for any help.....

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us