Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Menorraghia???

 santiago2 - Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:51 pm

I was told by a doctor that I had this in the past along with endometriosis and a cyst on my left ovary. That was over 4 years ago. My periods have always been irregular but came on every month. Last month I had intercourse with someone who was well endowed. Afterwards I had serious cramps and could barely sit up. That lasted for 3 days, on the third day I began to bleed very heavily but with no cramps at all. I had already came on my period that month. I'm still bleeding and it's been 3 weeks going on 4. The flow is sometimes bright red, other times it's dark. My concern is that it has been over 4 years since this has happend. I'm very fatigued and feel light headed at times. Could this be menorraghia again? Should I go to the emergency room? Pleeaassee Help! :cry:
 santiago2 - Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:21 am

It's me again. Well this is the fourth week. I'm still bleeding but it has subsided alot. Seems like I'm going off my period. Still no pain. I don't have a PCP and I don't want to go to the emergency room. Could possibly be stress. Maybe I'll be off next week. Hopefully :(
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:35 am

User avatar Menorraghia simply means heavy menstrual periods.
You are probably feelign lightheaded and tired because of the blood lose. Bleeding for this long should not be ignored. You can look for a familyplannign clinic in your area, they are free or low cost depending on income. If you cannot find one of thoes, and cannot see a gynecologist, then I would suggest going to the hospital for diagnosis.This of course, would be a last resrot, but if you cannot find any other way to find a doctor, then go to the hospital to be treated.
 santiago2 - Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:47 pm

Thank you sooo much for the follow up :wink: . I'm definitely going to make an appt. asap. I'm just spotting now. Hopefully they will be able to give me some answers and not just stick me on some kind of birth control. Thanks again!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us