Question: HELP! MISSED PERIOD FOR 5 MONTHS!

Kaylei - Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:47 pm

Okay here it is, I have missed my period for five months now. I have gone to the doctors and they have given me pregnancy tests but they all show i'm not pregnant. Is there something else that can cause me to miss my period for so long? Is it possible that I could have a tubel (sp?) pregnancy? Someone please help me i'm worried....
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:14 pm

User avatar It is very likely that if you had a tubal pregnancy in the 5th month, it would have been picked up on by now, either by the doctors, or by the pain it would cause you.
There is another reason you haven't had your period, and need to be evaluated by a doctor to find the cause.
 Kaylei - Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:05 pm

Thank you for letting me know. But what other problem could it be?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:12 pm

User avatar There are many reasons that menstration ceases. Poor nutrition, and eating disorders, stress, problems with the ovaries, a hormonal imbalance.....It would be impossible to diagnose without a proper examination from a doctor.
 Kaylei - Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:22 pm

Okay thanks again for your help
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:31 am

User avatar Tell me, do you have any other symptoms?

When you have had a pregnancy test, were you tested with urine or blood? A blood test can detect the actual level of the pregnancy hormone(hcg) in your blood, where a pregnancy test would only detect if you are pregnant or not.

Do you have any abdominal pain? Are you eating and exercising properly? Are you overweight? Under abnormal stress or depression?
 Kaylei - Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:53 pm

i had a lot of abdominal pain so i had gone to the hospital and they said that i had a syst on my right ovary. They had told me it would pop, but that was 4 months ago and it still hasn't popped.

They had only taken a urine test. No blood testing was done.

I eat really healthly, i don't eat a lot of junk food. I do pilates, I've never had a problem like this before. I do have a lot of pain in my abdomin when lay down to go to sleep. Yes I am under a lot of stress, my husband has resently lost his job because he messed up his back while working, and I have two babys, so I have been stressing with money and keeping up on shots for my children. I do have depresion, I've had it for as long as I can remember, but I have been taking steps for it not to effect me or my life.

I do everything I can to relax, from taking a warm bath to taking a walk. No I'm not overweight. I'm 21, 5'6 and weigh 120lbs, which i was told was perfect for my age and height. I do have trouble sleeping, it takes me hours to fall asleep.

Could the syst on my ovary cause this problem?
 Kaylei - Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:59 pm

One more thing, the abdomin pain doesn't always happen when I lay down either.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:03 pm

User avatar Ovarian cysts are common in women, and most do shrink and go away on their own.
There are different types of cysts and Corpus luteum cysts can cause pelvic pain and a delayed period.

You should go back to your doctor and ask to be examined to see if your cyst is still there or not, you should get a sonogram.

Stress can cause absence of periods, and it does sound like you have your hands full right now, but your doctor may want to put you on medication to help start your periods.

first the reason behind this needs to be discovered.

Look for a family planning office in your area, they offer free or discounted gynecological care to women depending on your income.
 Kaylei - Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:10 pm

I had made a apt. with my doctor for next week which is the soonest he could see me. Thanks for your help, it has calmed me down a lot to know what it could be instead of driving my up the wall worring about it. I really apreciate your help on this subject.
 patty123 - Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:35 pm

Kaylei wrote:Thank you for letting me know. But what other problem could it be?
Hello i don't know if you are recieving my email but im really upset.
I have been to two doctors and both have not done anything with me.
i have not had a period since may7th and went and bought several pregency tests and all negitive.i went to my family doctor and asked him and told him i gained about 25lbs in five months and he said he wanted to see my diet. well then today i went to a obgyn and he took another pg test and it was negitive and said i am going to giveyou a script to start your period. i am scard that if i am pregent it will harm the baby i am 34 years old and only have one child and would love another one.i also have movment in my stomach like a baby.SO PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE.? :....