Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Can you have cysts after a total hysterctomy

grandma0303 - Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:03 pm

I am 48 years old and in 1982 had a hysterectomy and they left one ovary. In 1997 I had a cyst on the one ovary they left that had caused my ovary to twist in a knot and the cyst had ruptured. They did surgery and removed the other ovary. Now I am having the exact same symptons I had then when the ovary was twisted in a knot and the cyst ruptured but I have no ovary's. My symptons are nausau and diarheaa excruciating pain in the abdoniman and my back. (before my hesterectomy everytime I had female problems I had back pain). So I was just wonderig if you can still have a cyst after a total hysterctomy? Please help if you know anything at all about this.
Thank-You
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:26 am

User avatar Hi grandma0303,
What problems were you experiencing that required the total hysterectomy? You wouldn't be having an ovarian cyst etc. since these organs have already been removed. However, adhesions may cause significant pain. I would strongly suggest that you have an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor, adhesions or another anomaly.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us