Question: Depot

dot - Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:02 pm

I have not had a period for 17 months after taking Depot Birth Control for one year? What could be the problem?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:08 am

User avatar Depo Provera stops menstration from occuring. You doctor should have explained that before prescribing the shot to you. It is completly normal not to have a period on this birth control
 dot - Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:20 am

Sorry, did not make it clear, i have stopped taking Depot for 17 months now and still have not had a period.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:40 am

User avatar Ah, ok. well, it can take some time for your cycle to resume back to normal after getting off the shot, it can take an average of 12-18 months for your cycles to return to normal.

Do you have any other symptoms/problems?

I would recommed speaking with your doctor, and getting an exam to find out if there is anything else going on.
 dot - Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:01 pm

Thanks, I did have exam and she said all is ok she then gave me a 7 day pill to start up my period...nothing yet, it has been over 2 months since I took these pills..so I am going back to Doctor this week..just kind of scarey, thought someone might have some experience with this.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:12 pm

User avatar Yes, it sounds like they need to get to the root of the problem as to why the periods haven't restarted yet.
It could be anumber of things completly unrelated to the depo shot.