Question: HELP! Need advice on Birth Control Pills.

beth1234 - Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:04 am

I've been on Zovia 35 continuously for 6 years to stop my periods, but have always had break through bleeding. Every year I've asked my Gynecologist to switch me to a different pill, but she says that the break through bleeding is normal. The bleeding has been very frustrating, and I don't want to live with it anymore. So I talked to my family Doctor recently, and she says I need to switch, and to talk to my Gynecologist about what one to switch to. Before I go to my Gynecologist I want to be more informed about the different pill choices that I have. I've searched on-line, but I am not sure what pill would work best at stopping my periods. Could you please suggest a couple of pills that I could talk to my doctor about?
I'm 21, and only taking birth control pills to stop my periods. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:11 am

User avatar Seasonale is a pill you only have 4 periods a year. You take the pills continuously for 3 months instead of 3 weeks.

Depo provera is a shot you get every 4 months, and it prevents your periods from occuring at all. If you choose depo, make sure to take a calcium suppliment, as it has been linked to decresed boen density.
 gapgren - Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:28 pm

hi there. im not a doctor or anything I just saying from my perspective....as far as the depo provera goes...I was on it for about 3 years and over the course of that gained about 45lbs and couldnt figure out why I couldnt lose..well I got off the shot in jan and have since just been able to start losing. That is one downside to that. As far as the Seasonale...I don't know about that one, but I can tell you that after the depo I switched to the Nuva Ring...and I absolutely love it. You insert it yourself once a month and you are supposed to take it out for the last week of the month (so that you have your period) and I was told that the first month or so I should do that, but after that initial time period you can leave it in for that fourth week and not get a period. I sometimes (rarely) get breakthrough bleeding and I pretty much control when and if I even have my period. Its great. I just wanted to let you know from my perspective because I wish someone would have done that for me 3 years ago. If you have any questions let me know otherwise...good luck.
 Anxious - Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:01 pm

Will the pill help me to have regular menstral cycles? If so will it also have an effect on me trying to concieve.

thanx