Question: Bacterial Vaginosis

jewelscando - Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:38 am

I had a Hysterectomy about 3yrs ago. Since then, I have had re-occuring Bacterial Vaginosis. My doctor precribed both the oral and vaginal prescriptions. I have had to have the prescription filled at least 15 times. My most recent out burst will not go away. I have tried Herbal pills, Enzara, Rephresh, and Metro-pills. I have not had intercourse for over a month. This is the worst it's been, and the discharge is really heavy. Will this ever go away? Someone mentioned I should have an IV of Cipro, which is a stronger antibiotic. Please help, I'm at my wits end!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:02 am

User avatar Hi jewelscando,
The two recommended antibiotics for treatment of bacterial vaginosis are metronidazole or clindamycin. Since it appears you have already been prescribed the metronidazole inquire about a prescription for clindamycin.
 foreveryurs - Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:27 pm

See if you get any enlightenment from this link.Good luck and remember;don't give up.
http://www.gettingit.com/article/407
 jewelscando - Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Foreveryurs, I have to say, thank you for that site. I haven't laughed so hard in my life. I literrally laughed so hard I was crying tears. Thanks for the laughs, and the encouragement.
 jewelscando - Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:49 pm

RNTDJ, I read info on the other prescription you talked about, however it stated it was not as effected. I recently read information on Tinadozole. It is mostly used in Europe. It claims to take it away, and keep it away. Any advice?
 foreveryurs - Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:15 am

Dear Jewels;
I'm glad you got a kick out of that.That woman (though crude) is living proof it can be cured even in the most severe cases.The problem with BV is your doctor is trained to treat the symptoms.Well that is fine for about 1 month;then it returns because your vagina's good bacteria is deficiet.It does no good to kill the excess bacteria if the good bacteria does not come back.
There is a pretty new drug out called Enzara.They claim to have a better than 90% long term cure rate of chronic BV.Better yet it carries a money back guarentee.You can still laugh about the little things your gonna make it.Try the Enzara and let me know if it works.Cut and paste the below link into your browser.A lot of women who had about given up are swearing by this.God bless you sweetie.
http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l& ... enzara.com
 foreveryurs - Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:32 am

One more thing..... :idea:
You might want to ask your husband to wear a latex condom during sex for a couple of weeks.The penis can carry BV;although only week or so at best.There is a small chance he could be reinfecting you.Make sure the condoms are plain and untreated.

Wash your vulva with a gentle soap.Never put soap inside your vulva.Inside the vulva can be washed with warm water using only your two fingers.

Skip douches.Douches kill good bacteria and cause BV. :twisted:

Wear cotton panel panties and loose pants/skirt.Let your vagina breathe.Sleep without panties.

Consider getting a couple of old towels to lay on your sheets to sleep on without using a pad when you menustrate.During the day stay away from tampons.Your vagina works best when allowed to work the way nature intended.

Your gonna lick this...Uh;did I say that? I mean your gonna get back to normal. :lol:
 jewelscando - Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:57 am

Yes, she was crude, however, I could totally relate! I am already on the Enzara. I've been on it now for 9 days. They say to take 1 in the A.M. and 1 at night. I was getting nowhere with that so I up'd the dose myself and now take 2 in the A.M. and 2 at night. I've seen a bit of a difference since then, but it's not gone. I just received Tetrasil in the mail today, so I'm trying that also. It has kind of a strange order, but, it's suppossed to help also.

I had a hysterectomy about 3yrs ago, so I don't have periods. (So no need to worry about the towels) :wink:

And I haven't had sex for over a month. My fiance is going nuts, however, he realizes the importance to this. He also went on Metronidazole, so he is being treated also, although the doctor told him, it really wasn't necessary. There's conflicting stories on wether or not a man can carry it. Some dr's say then can, and others say they can't.

So, the Jury's still out on the Enzara. I can tell you this though, when I first went on it, it got really bad. I was hoping it was one of those "Get's worse before it get's better". It's actually alot better, but it's pretty hard to pin point exactly what it is. No sex? Enzara? Tetrasil? I'm still going to take the other stuff when I get it, I forget the name, but it's in my last post. This prescription is usually only used in Europe, however it's suppossed to take it away and keep it away. So we will see! I was talking to another girl on a different website and she called her Doctor today, and he wrote her a prescription for it. So, hopefully that will do the trick!

Thanks for the advice!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:32 am

User avatar Hi jewelscando,
The two medications that I mentioned are recommendations by the CDC.
I do not have any available information regarding Tinadozole.
 foreveryurs - Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:19 pm

Sweetie you cant mix and match medications! If your doing that and I believe you are it explains why your BV got worse when you started the Enzara. You have to let the intial doctors prescribed course of treatment run it's course completley in order to asertain it has not worked;then begin another course after the drugs you've taken have time to leave your body(usually about 1 week).No drug or treatment can bring your bacteria back to mormal if other drugs are working against it.I know you want results;but you need to take nothing for at least 1 week;then try the Enzara.Dofferent BV meds will work against each other.
 jewelscando - Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:31 am

Oh no, I was just mentioning medicines I've tried. I have only been on the Enzara, by itself. I received the Tetrasil in the mail just yesterday and tried a little of that, but that's only topical. I think I might have a yeast infection after all. Who knows. I may just take a little visit to the doctor and they can tell me what it is!! Just don't have insurance so, didn't want to spend the money! Thanks though for the advice!!
 foreveryurs - Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:03 am

OK Sweetie;i got one more for ya then I shot my load.(did I say that? :wink: )
It is a menstrual cup.It is surley not a cure for BV;but it will seal the lower portion of your vagina off and greatly reduce or eliminate a lot of the smell.Now;not all of them can be used during sex BUT!;the Instead Soft Cup goes in all the way up to your cervix and can be used during sex.There are some drawbacks.It takes practice to put in;and it is messy to remove.However;once in place as per the directions it forms a "gasket" sealing off the cervix from the vagina.Using this followed by a gentle betadyne or vinegar/water douche (if you are comfortable using a douche and if your doctor thinks it's ok) you can greatley reduce much of the offensive odor and perhaps enjoy intercourse with your husband again.
There are other types of rubber reusable cups for women who still menustrate.They require a bit of experience to use effectivley;but it is worth the trouble for many women.Mainly cost and duration of use before cleaning.Some of the cups claim a 12 hour capability.
Please let me know if this brings you any success.I would count it as a victory if you can at least minimize the embarresment and possibly even enjoy sex again.
 jewelscando - Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:26 pm

Well, I guess that would work if I had a Cervix! LOL, I had a Hysterectomy like 3yrs ago. So I don't have a Uterus or a Cervix. I only have my Ovaries. I DO NOT have periods. So, I don't think this is for me. Thanks though!!