Question: Pap Smear

chimpy84 - Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:44 pm

:arrow: I haven't taken a pap smear i am 20 and married. I feel extremely uncomfortable :roll: doing this and i just want to know is there an alrernative to this. Please help out :cry:
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:26 pm

User avatar There is no alternative. A Pap smear detects abnormal changes in the cervix. It is very importnant for all sexually active women to have one yearly. I understand feeling uncomfortable, it isnt the greatest thing in the world to have done, but it is very important. The doctor will make you feel as comfortable as possible, and don't feel embarassed. remember, this is his job, it is what he does all day long, and he has seen everything.

Explain to the doctor you haven't been examined before, and he or she will exoplain everything to you before they do it, and make you as comfortable as possible.
 chimpy84 - Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:39 am

I've read of the dangers of a bad pap smear, I don't want that to happen. I've known many woman who are healthy and don't do the pap smear because of the dangers. They wont continue giving me the birth control patch unless i do the pap smear.
 mickapoo - Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:50 pm

Chimpy,
I think your doctor would agree that the risk that you are taking by not having the pap smear is far greater than any risk with taking it. The first time I had a pap smear, they found abnormal cells in my cervix, which could have lead to cervical cancer if I had not had a colposcopy to have the abnormal cells removed. I would highly recommend you have the pap smear- your life may depend on it. It's a simple procedure, only takes about 30 seconds or so (it's just a quick swipe of your cervix), and isn't painful.

Good luck to you.
 chimpy84 - Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:28 am

In my country that's not even done and women are healthy, and besides all the chemicals and hormones and all that stuff that people put in food causes so much diseases to a lot of people here in America, people live longer and are much healthier in other countries than in the us. So I'm not going to do that pap smear i will wait for the alrenative and do that when it comes to effect. I eat healthy and I can wait for that. I've read articles of doctors who are against pap smears and some doctors like yourlself just keep pushing like that doctor i went to and i prefer to not do a pap smear than taking the risk of getting a bad disease from a bad pap smear. If they just swipe our cervix we can do that ourselves too. Thanks for your help but i've made my decision