Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: chlamydia

prego422 - Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:57 pm

I am 21 years old and 4 months pregnant with my second child. I was just diagnosed with chlamydia. By doctor prescribed my husband and I azithromycin and we will abstain for 7 days. My question is if we are both cured completely before I deliver will my child still have any chance of having chlamydia related complications?
 Shelly S, RN - Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:56 pm

As far as I understand it, the risk to your baby is very minimal with treatment. Women who do NOT seek treatment could face the potential problems listed:

1/4 of babies passing down the infected birth canal will get Chlamydia Pneumonia

1/2 of all babies born to infected women after delivery through the birth canal will develop Chlamydial Conjunctivitis (pink eye) a week after birth

In severe cases blindness may occur

The bacteria can be easily passed to the developing child within the uterus

The child may have respiratory diseases for a long time if not treated

Other conditions

It is great that you are adhering to your treatment regimen. Continue your medicine as directed. Best of luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us