Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: HELP!! DUB

 ontheedgeMO - Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:28 pm

:? :x Not happy about my treatment plan with DUB it seems very paradoxal. Would like to talk to somebody about this can't find help anywhere. Thanx
 Michele P, RN - Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:50 pm

Young women within several years of their 1st period arent treated unless symptoms are exceptionally severe, such as heavy blood loss causing anemia.

In women of childbearing age, treatment is aimed at achieving regular menstrual cycles w/normal patterns. Oral contraceptives or progestogen therapy are frequently used. If anemia is present, iron supplements are usually used.

If your symptoms are severe and medical therapy does not help, surgical treatments such as endometrial ablation hysterectomy are discussed.

Older women who may be approaching menopause - treatments such as hormone supplementation or surgery are commonly used.
Best of luck :)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us