Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: abnormal vagina? - so unhappy

 crystalblue - Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:46 am

my problem is my vagina.i have no idea what normal vaginas do look like,but mine doesnt look so normal.there is a kind of partitioning tube like thing of skin that runs through the middle of my vagina from top to it normal?what is it?i cant go see a doctor by myself coz my family is, well, like that.i have no pain, illness and my periods are regular and no problem at all, and i am a virgin though i do hav a normal libido and everything and i there something wrong with me?what should i do?can you help me?is this normal?will i be able to marry and have kids?i am thinking of breaking up with my fiance coz i don't want to cheat him if this means that i will not be good in bed or that i will not have children or something.pls reply very urgently.

pls help me..i don't know if u answer these kind of questions but there is nobody else in the world that i can ask.i was born and brought up in a very religious and conservative family where sex is a taboo topic for mother works in another country and i certainly cant talk about this to anyone else.and please can u reply urgently?

thanks a lot,
 troubled - Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:13 am


Before I start. I am not a doctor, but am very aware of female issues as I used to have problems of my own which I was able to sort out in time. My job is to help people overcome their troubles, worries or fears about their sexuality or, in your case, their vaginas.

It is hard to give you a proper diagnosis without actually seeing it. Because this is not possible, I will try to come to a resolution with the information you provided.

First things first... YOU ARE NORMAL! I cannot stress this enough to you!

The first thing you need to do is to look at pictures of other vaginas! Whether it be in a sex book or the internet. Every woman needs to do this as many are too afraid or think it is wrong. It is very healthy, and will lead you to a better understanding of what a normal vagina looks like.

The skin thatsruns from the top of your vagina to the bottom is your HYMEN. If you are not sure what this is, its the piece of skin that forms across the vagina passage, which is broken very easily, usually through masturbation or sex or even activities such as horse or bike riding.

However, the shapes and sizes of the hymen varies from girl to girl. Your are describing it as a tube, which sounds like what I actually had. It is called a septate hymen. This is when the hymen has one or more bands extending across the opening. You can view a webpage which explains this and gives you a picture. Go to

To answer your question, you will be able to marry, have kids and all that. People like you and me run into the trouble of intercourse and tampons and anything that enters the vagina basically. When I was younger I had mine removed. very simple surgery and only under general anestetic. It is a bit painful afterwards, but it is worth it.

By the way, I had the same troubles as you. I was very depressed, even considered killing myself over such as silly thing. All because I thought I was weird, abnormal and no one knew what it was! I had to find out the hard way - by myself! So I hope I have answered your question.

Just let me know how everything is going. You can do this!

 acrosstheuniverse - Thu May 21, 2009 5:19 am

i was just wondering, is it weird for the inner lips around my vagina to be longer than normal ?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us