Question: Periods Twice a Year!

CandyMandy - Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:24 am

I can only remember a brief time in my life when I had regular periods. That was back when I was 12 years old. From the age of 13 onward, my period doesn't come on any sort of schedule. I can be 2 months, 4 months, 6 months apart. Yes, there have been times when I only had a period twice a year! From the age of 15-16, I didn't have a single period! Now at the age of 20, I still have irregular periods . They usually only last a day or sometimes 2 days. They are usualy a brown discharge. In between periods I get a clear odor less discharge. I do know I'm not pregnant. This has been an ongoing problem since I was younger. What is the problem?
 Stephanielou - Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:54 am

Hi!

Do you have any other odd symptoms?

Are you overweight? Have odd pains in your lower pelvis?Facial hair? Acne? Depression?

Have you spoken with a doctor about it?

Lack of menstruation can sometimes be dangerous. You may be at risk for endometriosis or other serious problems.

There are many reasons for lack of menstruation or ammenhorea. One of the most common is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. 10% of all women suffer from PCOS.

Your doctor can preform some simple tests to diagnose PCOS. Regardless of whether or not you have PCOS, I think you should be checked out by a doctor (preferably a gyno)
 CandyMandy - Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:28 am

I really appreciate your reply.Actually, yes I do have other symptoms that I never thought to connect to my lack of menstruation.

I use to have an acne problem. It's not nearly as bad as it once was when I was a youth though. I'm about 20-30 lbs overweight. The weight issues has been an ongoing problem that seemed to pick up when I reached my teen years. I was always an underweight child. I do suffer from facial hair. I'm naturally a blonde so it's not a huge issue but lately I've been waxing it off. And yes, I was treated last year with anti-depressants. I discontinued the medication after a lot of weight gain and sleep problems. As far as pelvic pain... I sometimes I'll get pain in that area that is really horrible and last all day long. I just assumed that I had problems with spicy foods or something of that nature. The pain is constant and can last all day and night. I don't complain about it as much nowadays. Although, I think I've just gotten use to it.

I was shocked when I read your reply becauseIi said to myself, "yeah, I do have all of those problems!" This problem has been going on for so long that I never thought to even include those in my original post.
 Stephanielou - Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:02 pm

Candy-

Since your symptoms are very close to those of PCOS. I highly recomend seeing a gyno for a diagnosis. The doc can do an ultrasound and blood test to diagnose. If you don't have PCOS at least you are being seen and perhaps you can find out what's wrong.

There are many other sites on the web that can help you with these problems. including....

http://www.pcosworldwidesupport.com

http://www.soulcysters.net

http://www.pcosupport.org