Question: prolactic tumor due to ovulation?

distressed - Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:40 pm

i have not had a period in 4 months. i went to my gynecologist and he brought up testing my prolactic level? he said this could be the cause of me not ovulating and could lead to a tumor? is this a great possibility and would could signs of this being true? and if so then what would be the steps of getting rid of the tumor? he also told me that by not obvualting that this could cause a lining in my overies that could turn cancerous? what do you suggest i do?
 jennykert - Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:03 pm

Here is my understanding of testing prolactin. Prolactin is produced by the pituitary gland. Too much or too little (I think too much, but I am not sure) can cause no ovulation and missed periods.

Tumors in the pituitary gland can cause this imbalance. It is also my understanding that tumors in the pituitary are not that rare and not often cancer. In other words, if you do have a tumor, it is probably nothing to worry about--you may have to take some meds to even out the imbalance in hormones.

My doctor suspected that I had a tumor several years ago, but a 2nd blood test ruled it out. My coworkers wife was suspected as having one too, but she did not.

Let your doctors do the testing, but rest assured that it most likely is not something to worry about.

(I"m not a nurse or a doctor, just someone who went thru the same testing)
I hope this helps
Jenny