Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Nipple Piercing Problem

jennclem20 - Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:54 pm

Hi-two and a half years ago I got my left nipple pierced. I noticed when I would clean it that their was a foul smell on the ring and small amount of discharge. About a year later my breast started hurting so I went to the Dr. he told me I had fibrocystic changes, and that was it. So I took the ring out, and it seemed to help the pain but now I have that same foul smelling coming out of my nipple. The discharge it white, no odd colors, and its not spontaneously coming out just when I press hard, and I have pain in the right upper quadrant of my left breast. I know it's some sort of infection. Ever heard of anything like this. Nobody around here seems to know much about piercings and their complications. Any help would be wonderful. My nerves are going crazy.

Thanks much-
Jenn [/b]
 Skarlet - Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:36 am

I don't know what to tell you about the pain thing, but nipple piercings don't heal well I've had mine for a year and a half and they do the same thing with the white discharge. My friend and I both have both of ours done and we have the same problem, white discharge it gets a little crusty around the rings and has a slight odor when I clean them. I don't think it's abnormal though because I talked to piercers when I first noticed it and they told me its part of the healing process, its been decreasing with time. My piercer did however mention that the healing time with nipple piercings is really different, some people it takes years, some never fully heal. Another thing about mine though is that I have alot of piercings and the slight odor is the same smell for all my piercings when they're healing. If I put in a pair of earrings I'm allergic to my body secretes the same smelling substance, the slight crust and everything are the same although the consistancy is different or when I take my lip rings out and my body starts to heal the hole, same white substance, same smell.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us