Question: Persistant & Constant Vaginal Discharge

lilbratt11277 - Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:30 am

Hi, I am a 28 year old female. I have had constant vaginal discharge ever since I can remember, probably since my first menstration. I don't remember exactly when it started. It's not foul smelling, greenish or any of the things that would go along with a yeast infection. Not itchy or red, but I am prone to getting yest infections easily. It is always white, sometimes a pale yellow. I have had yearly pap tests done and nothing has come up. I once saw a family practice doctor about this problem when I was a teenager. He basically told me that it's normal for some women to have a discharge and for some not have any. No matter what he said I DON'T FEEL NORMAL! I don't know what else to do or who else to talk to about this. I told my Gyn about the discharge last time I had a pap done, after the fact, and she said that she didn't see any discharge?! I don't know what is going on! Any suggestions?? I am tired of always feeling "moist" and having this in my underware! I am married now and I can't even let my husband see my undeware when I take them off, let alone begin explain this to him.
 atamedic - Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:00 pm

Hi, I am a 33 year old female and I too have this same problem. I have been told that discharge is normal and it's a way of cleansing. I feel it's not right either. I also have some questions and maybe someone can help. It has to do with Trichomonis, well it seems I have had it about 4 to 5 times since the age of 21 and I have been tested for all the std's out there and they have all come back negative. I just recently came down with it again and I don't understand why. I don't sleep around and neither does my partner. We do have alot of sex and I get numerous yeast infections from it and I also just got over a bad Kidney and Bladder infection about a month ago, so why does this happen and how do I prevent it? Do I have to keep Flagyl and cipro in my medicine cabinet at all times? Some one please help.
 alby - Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:03 pm

hi. I know these posts were posted a couple years ago, but i have the same exact problem and want to know if anyone has gotten any answers or been able to help the situation. I too have had vaginal discharge since I can remember getting my period. It's a constant thing, I literally can't go a day wihout wearing a pantiliner. There is usually a tint of yellow in the discharge, and only has a slight sourness smell if I haven't been able to change my pantiliner as frequently. But I'm 25 and have been with an amazing boyfriend for 7 years, but it is still an issue or our sex life because I am constantly concerned about that area down there. I won't let him go down there unless I have previously showered afraid that he'll smell it or think it's gross. I've had paps done and they have always come out negative, I am somewhat prone to yeast infections, it can get itchy at times, but usually goes away within a day or so. I also started on Ortho Tricyclen Lo to see if it would make a difference but it hasn't. Any help would be appreciated.
 sparkle28 - Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi,im 28 and I am the same.I have a shower in the morning and by 2.30 I have to change my underwear (always have to carry clean underwear around).I must admit that my discharge smells.When I come home from work I shower and before I go to bed I have a bath,thats 2 showers and a bath a day.My friends have told me that they cant smell anything,but I can.I am so embarrassed by this that I cant go anywhere after work because I know I have to go home to shower first.

If anyone can help I would be grateful.
 dlhgirl02 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi, I am 24 and I have the same issue. I've always had a "more than normal" amount of discharge, usually white or slightly yellowish and sticky. My doctor told me it's normal, however I too believe it could be abnormal. I have been diagnosed with trichomoniasis 4 times in the past 5 years. My husband and I have been together for 7 years and neither one of us is sleeping with any one else. The doctors can't explain how I get it, but I always seem to notice I get it after wearing pads for a period of time (menstruation) or pantyliners for the discharge.
I also get a lot of yeast infections. Everytime I have sex or get my period and even just out of nowhere. Gyno doesn't seemed to be concerned with that. Although, it becomes very aggravating and stressful.
Answers could really be helpful.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Discharge varies considerably between women and it's hard to say what is a concerning amount, but since it bothers you, this seems to be too much for you to tolerate comfortably; therefore it's too much.

I assume you have been checked for possible infections such as bacterial vaginosis. If there was some underlying infection, treatment might resolve the problem. If you haven't been on the pill for long, you may want to do some watchful waiting to give it time to have a hormonal effect. You mentioned yeast; so I assume you have been treated for this.

Have you discussed this concern with your boyfriend. Many men report that they are quite comfortable with the natural body scents of women; even those you may find offensive.

I don't mean to downplay the significance of how this makes you feel, but it is important to get his feedback on it so you really understand the extent of the problem and can get the appropriate help.

It sounds like you are under a doctor's care. I'm glad of that, but if it's been a while, schedule another appointment. I suspect this is normal hormonal variation but i understand your frustration about it.