Question: when should I take a pregnancy test??

evanje - Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:57 am

okay.. my situation has become more complicated.

On september 23, the day after the last day of my period, I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. He did not ejaculate. I took plan be the next day.
On october 23 I took an at home pregnancy test, which came out negative, but, on that day, BEFORE I took the test, it happened again. No protection, and he didnt ejaculate. It was without my consent. Three days later I took another pregnancy test which also came out negative. MY question is,were these tests innacurate? I am late for my period already, which I thought was because of the first incident, but because of what happened on oct. 23 (second incident) I don't know when would be the correct time to take a test. Do I have to wait until next month around the time when the next period should be due, or now, since I am late anyways? Please help I am so confused.
 Michele P, RN - Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:00 pm

Taking the test immed after sex will not come out w/an accurate result. You need to wait for the 1st day of your scheduled period - the 1st day you are late.

Some pregnancy tests are good now, they can predict a few days prior to missing your period but the most accurate way would be to wait till you actually MISS your period to see.

I would think that your period is late due to Plan B. If you were on the last day of your period on Sept 23rd (this is based on a 4day period) - your most fertile time (keeping in mind you can get pregnant at ANY time - but this is the most fertile - would be 9/29-10/04. Then you should have had your period approx on 10/18. So if you took a test on 10/23 - you are taking it at the correct time BUT the sexual contact that you had on the same day would NOT show on that test.

I do not believe based on what you have said that you are pregnant but for safety I would wait a week, see if you get your period, if not see a doctor who can do a blood pregnancy test which is the most accurate of all.

If you were to have gotten pregnant on 10/23 - that will not show until mid November.

Either way, pregnant or not, having a visit w/your doctor might be good. Not only can he check to be sure all is well from the Plan B dose & discuss w/you your missing period, you can discuss birth control options so you don't need to be scared every month

Best of Luck :)