Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: when should I take a pregnancy test??

evanje - Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:57 am

okay.. my situation has become more complicated.

On september 23, the day after the last day of my period, I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. He did not ejaculate. I took plan be the next day.
On october 23 I took an at home pregnancy test, which came out negative, but, on that day, BEFORE I took the test, it happened again. No protection, and he didnt ejaculate. It was without my consent. Three days later I took another pregnancy test which also came out negative. MY question is,were these tests innacurate? I am late for my period already, which I thought was because of the first incident, but because of what happened on oct. 23 (second incident) I don't know when would be the correct time to take a test. Do I have to wait until next month around the time when the next period should be due, or now, since I am late anyways? Please help I am so confused.
 Michele P, RN - Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:00 pm

Taking the test immed after sex will not come out w/an accurate result. You need to wait for the 1st day of your scheduled period - the 1st day you are late.

Some pregnancy tests are good now, they can predict a few days prior to missing your period but the most accurate way would be to wait till you actually MISS your period to see.

I would think that your period is late due to Plan B. If you were on the last day of your period on Sept 23rd (this is based on a 4day period) - your most fertile time (keeping in mind you can get pregnant at ANY time - but this is the most fertile - would be 9/29-10/04. Then you should have had your period approx on 10/18. So if you took a test on 10/23 - you are taking it at the correct time BUT the sexual contact that you had on the same day would NOT show on that test.

I do not believe based on what you have said that you are pregnant but for safety I would wait a week, see if you get your period, if not see a doctor who can do a blood pregnancy test which is the most accurate of all.

If you were to have gotten pregnant on 10/23 - that will not show until mid November.

Either way, pregnant or not, having a visit w/your doctor might be good. Not only can he check to be sure all is well from the Plan B dose & discuss w/you your missing period, you can discuss birth control options so you don't need to be scared every month

Best of Luck :)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us