Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: late period, negative pregnancy test

stella ann - Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:07 pm

Hello, sorry, this may be old news, but not for me. I am 8-9 days late for my period. I have taken two pregnancy tests at home, both negative. I don't have any real reason to believe i am pregnant. Also a few months ago I had pain during sex for a week or so, and again one other time since then. I am making arrangements to see a doctor, but am hoping someone could maybe ease my mind a bit, or give me some ideas on what could be happening to me. Any ideas? thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:27 am

User avatar Hello,
The highest possible screening sensitivity for an hCG-based pregnancy test conducted on the first day of a missed period is 90 percent, as 10 percent of women may not have implanted yet.[1] It was estimated that the highest possible screening sensitivity of a home pregnancy test by one week after the first day of the missed period is 97 percent.

References:
===========
1. Allen J. Wilcox; Donna Day Baird; David Dunson; Ruth McChesney; Clarice R. Weinberg. Natural Limits of Pregnancy Testing in Relation to the Expected Menstrual Period. JAMA. 2001;286:1759-1761.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us