Question: Hysteroscope and frequent periods

snazzy - Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:43 pm

I am looking for some insight, I am 27 years old and just recently went to the gyno because I have been having frequent periods for the past few months. I just ended one on October 21st and started again today. I have an appointment for a sonogram and hysteroscope but my dr rescheduled for personal reasons. I am very concerned that my fertility is being affected and I don't really know whats wrong. She did tell me that my uterus is basically about the same size as someone who is 3 months pregnant although I am not pregnant. She also said that she felt nothing abnormal on the outside of the uterus and my pap came back normal. Has anyone else had this procedure done and what do you think it could be?

Any answer is greatly appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:03 am

User avatar Hi snazzy,
Many conditions may cause abnormal menstrual cycles, alterations in the amounts of bleeding etc. One of the conditions which may cause enlargement of the uterus and abnormal uterine bleeding are fibroids (benign). This of course isn't to imply that this is what your particular condition is but used as an example. A hysteroscope is used to identify abnormalities within the uterus. Typically, general anesthesia, local or major block is the methods used. After gradual dilation of the cervix, a thin long rod with a camera attached to the end is inserted through the cervix and guided into the uterus. This allows a specific view of uterine contents. The procedure takes approximately a hour to complete. Between the two diagnostic studies, any abnormalities of the pelvic structures may be identified by ultrasound and internal views of the uterus by hysteroscope. I hope this information has been somewhat helpful.
 mumof3 - Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi there, I had a hysteroscopy in 2004 for long and heavy periods, it is a surgical procedure so therefore done under anaesthetic and completely un - painful. For me it found that there were a few fibroids present. Don't be worried about this procedure as it can certainly help to see if there is in there that is of concern...