Question: irregular period

naynay10 - Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:22 am

I have been having irregular periods for some years now (missed periods mostly)...i am 34 years old have had one child. My period started on october 2nd and it is now nov 3rd and i have been bleeding to some degree the whole month some days heavy some just light spotting but always there and ranging from bright red to brown. I didnt have a period for 2 months june, july then had a very heavy period in aug. with alot of clotting sept was about 10 days with "normal amout" now this..i spoke to my dr about it and she said she didnt want to do anything until i met with my gyno (have an appointment for tubal ligation consultation on nov 22) I was told during my pregnancy that i had a cyst on ovary also didnt have a period for six months after i had baby and was given pills to start it... i have some dull pain in lower left side, been having pretty severe heartburn also feel full even after small amounts of food. I have a pap done once a year and always comes back ok. what could be causing these symptoms? and would going on birth control regulate periods?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:54 am

User avatar Hi naynay10,
First the cause of the irregular cycles need to be identified. Have you had any diagnostic studies, for example, an ultrasound? If not I would inquire about this study prior to your procedure. If your gynecology evaluation is normal you may want to also inquire about a referral to an Endocrinologist to identify if a hormone dysfunction is present.