Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: irregular period

 naynay10 - Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:22 am

I have been having irregular periods for some years now (missed periods mostly)...i am 34 years old have had one child. My period started on october 2nd and it is now nov 3rd and i have been bleeding to some degree the whole month some days heavy some just light spotting but always there and ranging from bright red to brown. I didnt have a period for 2 months june, july then had a very heavy period in aug. with alot of clotting sept was about 10 days with "normal amout" now this..i spoke to my dr about it and she said she didnt want to do anything until i met with my gyno (have an appointment for tubal ligation consultation on nov 22) I was told during my pregnancy that i had a cyst on ovary also didnt have a period for six months after i had baby and was given pills to start it... i have some dull pain in lower left side, been having pretty severe heartburn also feel full even after small amounts of food. I have a pap done once a year and always comes back ok. what could be causing these symptoms? and would going on birth control regulate periods?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:54 am

User avatar Hi naynay10,
First the cause of the irregular cycles need to be identified. Have you had any diagnostic studies, for example, an ultrasound? If not I would inquire about this study prior to your procedure. If your gynecology evaluation is normal you may want to also inquire about a referral to an Endocrinologist to identify if a hormone dysfunction is present.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us