Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: curious

babygirl18 - Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:45 am

I have been with my boyfriend for over 3 years. No breakups, no huge fights or anything, smooth sailing. We have a serious relationship and a very commited relationship as well. We are both virgins and we want to wait until we are at least living together to be sexually active. My question is, when we do begin to make love to each other, how can we avoid being pregnant? Obviously birth control and condoms, but I guess the better question would be, when is it most unlikely for me to get pregnant? My periods are all over the place, never one time, always later than usual. For the past couple of months they have been about a week late every time. Is there a way of knowing when I'm most fertile and when it would be safe for us to make love without getting pregnant?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:12 am

User avatar Hi babygirl18,
Ovulation occurs at midcycle (half way point in the cycle). Considering that your menstrual cycles are irregular it would be very difficult to avoid pregnancy by abstaining from intercourse during that time since you can't identify midcycle with any regularity. I would suggest that if you are considering sexual activity that you use another form of birth control.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us