Question: curious

babygirl18 - Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:45 am

I have been with my boyfriend for over 3 years. No breakups, no huge fights or anything, smooth sailing. We have a serious relationship and a very commited relationship as well. We are both virgins and we want to wait until we are at least living together to be sexually active. My question is, when we do begin to make love to each other, how can we avoid being pregnant? Obviously birth control and condoms, but I guess the better question would be, when is it most unlikely for me to get pregnant? My periods are all over the place, never one time, always later than usual. For the past couple of months they have been about a week late every time. Is there a way of knowing when I'm most fertile and when it would be safe for us to make love without getting pregnant?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:12 am

User avatar Hi babygirl18,
Ovulation occurs at midcycle (half way point in the cycle). Considering that your menstrual cycles are irregular it would be very difficult to avoid pregnancy by abstaining from intercourse during that time since you can't identify midcycle with any regularity. I would suggest that if you are considering sexual activity that you use another form of birth control.