Question: Irregular Periods, Is there a Problem?

benzie - Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:51 am

Hi, I am 16 and got my period exactly two years ago last august. My periods havent been very regular. But this summer during summer break, they were pretty regualr. July, Agust, and September. But then in october my period never came its now november and i still have no signs of my period. I read on some information sites that i shouldnt worry, only if my period has been absent for more than 3 months or it may be severe if its 6. I am not sexually active, still a vergin. I have no acne problems. about a year ago i went to the gino and family doc to check things out cuz the periods weren't coming for about 3 or 4 months, but they found nothing. Hormone levels were fine, they found nothing, o they said i had a septate uterus, but that it was verrrrrry minor and basically meant nothing. Should i be worried? What could the cause of all this be, i am under no real stress, and i have no problems with weight loss or weight gain. For a little bit in october i wasnt eating that much but now i am back on track to eat more and nutrisous foods. What do you recomend?? i am a little worried... :?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:25 pm

Dysfunctional uterine bleeding is a diagnosis of exclusion. It requires the exclusion of pregnancy or pregnancy-related disorders, medications, iatrogenic causes, obvious genital tract pathology, and systemic conditions.[1]

Dysfunctional uterine bleeding often occurs when the endometrium, or lining of the uterus, is stimulated to grow by the hormone estrogen. When exposure to estrogen is extended, or not balanced by the presence of progesterone, the endometrium continues to grow until it outgrows its blood supply. Then it sloughs off, causing irregular bleeding. If the bleeding is heavy enough and frequent enough, anemia can result.

It commonly occurs in women in their teens for a few years after menarch. In such cases it represents a normal phenomenon as the hormonal control mechanisms in the body start to mature.

References:
==========
1. Brenner PF. Differential diagnosis of abnormal uterine bleeding. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;175(3 Pt 2):766-9.