Question: Months of viginal itching

New girl - Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:59 am

I've experienced varginal itching for approximatly 9 months now, I have been to the doctors and was prescribed various thrush creams and tablets. Nothing has worked and the itching has got worse spreading back to my anus. It hurts when I pee and I have times where I can not control my bladder and I pee a bit before I can get to a loo. There is no unusual redness to the area.

I have now discovered a pea sized lump which is hard, in my left arm pit and has been there for the past three weeks, I also have a rubbery, moveable long lump on my vulva which has been there for about 6 months - it stretches for about 1.5 centimeters. Neither lump is painful to touch. With all these symptoms combined I am starting to worry it is something more serious.

Should I be worried - I am only 24 years old?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:14 pm

User avatar New girl,
It would be very hard to put all these symptoms together. Rather I think they should be dealt with seperately. First, your itching.

Vulvovaginal itching generally is not a normal finding in healthy women.[1] Itching is usually most noticeable with a yeast infection, though it may occur with any type of infection or irritation. An irritated vaginal lining, which may be particularly itchy or painful during intercourse, is usually a more prominent symptom of atrophic vaginitis (such as occurs in postmenopausal women). Pain and itching when urinating may occur in trichomoniasis. Other dermatologic conditions (eg, lichen sclerosis and, rarely, vulvar cancer) should also be considered, especially in the absence of candidal infection.[2]

Usually a gynecologist will be able to tell by clinical examination and colposcopy what the problem is. If there is evidence of vaginal irritation this may be a manifestation of contact or allergic vaginitis. If on examination there is an a focal area of abnormal tisse a biopsy may be required. The examination will also reveal the nature of the lump you have on the vulva.

As for the lump in your arm pit. This should be evaluated by a doctor immediately. The axillary lymph nodes are located in the axillae (arm pits). They drain the arm, thoracic wall, breast. Common causes of enlargement include infections, cat-scratch disease, lymphoma, breast cancer, silicone implants, brucellosis, melanoma. Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing more than an infection but ruling out cancer is a must.

References:
==========
1. Haefner HK. Current evaluation and management of vulvovaginitis. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1999;42:184-95.
2. Reilly BM. Practical strategies in outpatient medicine. 2d ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1991:1016-46.