Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: bleeding = pregnant or not?

loveme74 - Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:09 pm

i am on BCP and i never miss a day, but sometime i do take the pill and hour or two late. Last week i skipped my "off week" of pills so i would not have a period, since i was spending the weekend with my boyfriend. we don't use condoms, since i'm on BCPs, but starting last weekend, i have had, not a period, just very very light bleeding every day.. my boyfriend is, well, bigger, by alot, than my past boyfriends, and i don't know if i am bleeding because i was hurt during sex, or if i'm pregnant. i took an at home test, which was negative, but i'm still confused as to why i'm bleeding.. help?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:15 pm

User avatar You are probably experiencing break through bleeding, which is common on BCP
 loveme74 - Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:55 pm

does it last long? and.. i'm probably not pregnant?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:55 am

User avatar It would be to soon to tell if you are pregnant or not, wait a week and test again, if that is negative, then your probably not pregnant, If you are on BCP and then your chances of pregnancy are low, but of course, there is always a chance.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:57 am

User avatar I forgot to add that bleeding can also be a sign of an infection, so you should see your gynecologist to rule that out.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us